Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Michigan QDM

Old 11-10-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Michigan QDM

Anyone else think the whole state should adopt a 6 or bigger rule? Works great in the 6 counties or so in Mich. that have it already. Or at least a no spike law. Nicerwhen you know for a fact theres bucks around and dont have to worry about neighbors or state landers shooting a fork or spike.

Not to mention all the does.

Lets get the ball rolling.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Michigan QDM

I'm ALL for it here!! Shoot some more does too!

Let em go and let em grow!

clattin
Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

This issue is a two edge sword,
I don't live or hunt in a QDM,but there is one near me,that my brother and dad live in.
In the area near me it does not seem to be working very well at all.
I myself have no problem with young hunter's or those young to hunting.
harvesting a younger buck.
To seethe excitement ofyoungster that has harvested a spike or fork,
That is a trophy in their mind.
What are they trying to do in the QDM (produce trophy animals).
I feel it's up to the hunter themselves to decide to let them go and let them grow,When they feel it.
Myself,Ionly shoot more mature animals,I do harvest doe's for meat.
My children by their own choice decide when they pass by the younger buck's.
Usually after a couple year's of hunting they decide,But it is their choice.
I don't want to start a argument,Just stating both side's.
I do agree some hunter's don't get it But myself I like to make my own choice.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:35 PM

I see where your coming from, I also practise my own QDM on my property. We set it at 6 or bigger. The problem lies on the outskirts of my 160 acres, which is state land. All the time planting food plots and trying to "better the herd"is destroyed by state landers who shoot whatever crosses there path, including countless spikes and 4 points which could have been good bucks in a year or 2.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Michigan QDM? I thought I saw this phrase in a catalog of oxymorons?! I am a Yooper and would LOVE to see some sort of QDM go into effect. Last yaer there was refferendum being signed and then it went to a vote for a QDM proposal, but I feel that the group doing the circulation really dropped the ball. The proposal was poorly announced so voter turnout was poor, but it did nearly pass. One of my best friends in a QDM zone in central Dickinson county and they have seen incredible results from a 3 or more on a side rule. On our property we only take mature deer, but those are few and far between since there are not very many people on the same plan. I would be all in favor of a QDM proposal restricting points, or AT LEAST a no spike law. Even just that would help out. I had heard that UP Whitetails is going to get another plan going so hopefully they get the word spread far and wide to those who will be in favor. The problem with these deals is that the groups have to be careful in a sense not too alert too many people that are against the proposal and this is the tricky part. Of course, another problem is our stellar DNR sitting in Lansing with their collective thumb up their a**. Anyway, season opens in 5 days so its not going to happen this year, but if we can get the ball rolling on here that is definetely a start. Good luck to all you fellow Michiganders!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

Michigan QDM? I thought I saw this phrase in a catalog of oxymorons?! I am a Yooper and would LOVE to see some sort of QDM go into effect. Last yaer there was refferendum being signed and then it went to a vote for a QDM proposal, but I feel that the group doing the circulation really dropped the ball. The proposal was poorly announced so voter turnout was poor, but it did nearly pass. One of my best friends in a QDM zone in central Dickinson county and they have seen incredible results from a 3 or more on a side rule. On our property we only take mature deer, but those are few and far between since there are not very many people on the same plan. I would be all in favor of a QDM proposal restricting points, or AT LEAST a no spike law. Even just that would help out. I had heard that UP Whitetails is going to get another plan going so hopefully they get the word spread far and wide to those who will be in favor. The problem with these deals is that the groups have to be careful in a sense not too alert too many people that are against the proposal and this is the tricky part. Of course, another problem is our stellar DNR sitting in Lansing with their collective thumb up their a**. Anyway, season opens in 5 days so its not going to happen this year, but if we can get the ball rolling on here that is definetely a start. Good luck to all you fellow Michiganders!
Exactly, I hunted up near Trenery in the UP about 3 weeks ago. The county is QDM 6 or bigger, and man what a difference! Hunted private land surrounded by state and we saw about 6 different bucks in 2 days. 4 forks, 3 eighters and a nice maybe 10. Hell of alot better than what i was used to in the UP (spikes and fawns.lol). Anyone who hears anything about proposals on QDM make sure to post on here!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Diller! Trenery area hasn't been none for much quality in the past. Hopefully the DNR will take notice of that. What is your take on deer registration just out of curiousity? I would like to see some sort of registration initiative besides the voluntary one currently in place. I think that if the state really wants to take management seriously, we need to have a registration procedure to get a more accurate count of total harvest, and to also get a much better idea of the composition of the harvest. And yes, anyone who hears about any kind of QDM, put it up on here! Good luck in the coming weeks!
Old 11-12-2005, 07:21 AM

What do you mean not represented well? I have to agree by the way. It was not put to a vote! Thay sent out a survey to land owners (many not Yoopers making the decision) and about half hunters, and that is how it was decided not to implement QDM. I guess you could say it was a "vote" but it was not a good representitive of the UP hunters who it will effect. If you were from Atlanta, GA and owned a piece of property up here and were a member of PETA, you could have been sent a servey and "vote" on the issue. Was total BS the way it was done.

One of the areas I hunt inbetween the Gwinn and Palmer area that is in QDM (5 year test area in the fifth year I believe) and really have not seen the big improvement yet. With that being said, I would still like to see a version of QDM, butfor herd health, not antler size, meaning taking more does!!!!The antlers will come on there own. I would like to see it with stipulations for younger and/or inexperienced hunters to take what they want, doe, spike, fork, tirdy pointer, whatever, to get them involved. Thanks for letting me rant! It is just my humble opinion.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

Way to go Diller! Trenery area hasn't been none for much quality in the past. Hopefully the DNR will take notice of that. What is your take on deer registration just out of curiousity? I would like to see some sort of registration initiative besides the voluntary one currently in place. I think that if the state really wants to take management seriously, we need to have a registration procedure to get a more accurate count of total harvest, and to also get a much better idea of the composition of the harvest. And yes, anyone who hears about any kind of QDM, put it up on here! Good luck in the coming weeks!
Once agian I have to agree with you on that. Not once has the state ever asked me how many deer I shot that year or what they were! How in the hell do they get these bull**** figures about the number of deer taken? Many many hunters buy tags and never even shoot a deer, so it cant be that. I know they have some percentage of this and that dived by that multiplied by bull****. QDM works, thats all there is too it/ also forces people to take more does. The does must be leveled everywhere. I shot 5 does last year, and all that meats ussually gone by July.

Bownutty, I also have to agree with you about the voting. It's all a cluster F**k. Younger hunters may need a incentive of some kind, but that will take some thought on how to regulate that. My grandpa took a spike last year but hes pushing 90 and its good to see him shoot something. And dont even get me started on PETA. argh!

I think we all need a poker table and a couple 30 packs and we can figure out all the states problems.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:30 PM

I'm kinda on the same page with Diller. The pro's are obviously there but the Michigan DNR is pretty horrible overall. We have never been checked or asked about our deer or anything. I believe 80% of the bucks in the UP never reach maturity because Michigan hunters kill anytthing that pops out and it is very aggrivating. If QDm was instated in Michigan, it would cause a horrible lapse in the # of deer taken in the near future but within 3-5 years, the herds will be as good as ever with many more mature deer. But then we get the argument of places that already have very low deer herds. How can we prove upon them if the goal is to kill more does but there already isnt enough to go around.

But I do agree, QDM should DEFINITELY be instated but then again, another point one could bring up would be for younger hunters (like myself, 16) and then the elderly people who's condition is not getting better. In a way, QDM kinda takes away from the family feeling of hunting. Sure taking does is just as fine but having to wait until your 25 to take your 1st buck sounds a little harsh. I think it depends a lot on the hunters and their families. In the example I am usuing. Say a 45 year old male and his 12 year old son go hunting and a spike walks by. Of course the father is going to tell the kid to shoot because your 1st deer is a trophyt no matter what. But with QDM, the father cant say "Go ahead and take him, son" but instead "Sorry son, QDM says we gotta shoot at least an 8 pointer." How demoralizing would that be to a 12 year old? "I'm sorry but you cant shoot this buck in front of you which you have a clear shot at for your 1st deer." That stinks. Thats where the experienced hunters should explain these things to younger hunters.

My dad explained to me a few years back before I became a serious hunter that I can;t go around shooting everything I see. I know that I'm not suppose to shoot 3 spikes in 1 year and expect to see monster's every year. I also know that I can't pass up every doe just because I want a buck really bad. The land we hunt is not hunted by the owner or anyone else so we basically manage it. Just last year, my dad saw a big 8 but never got a shot at it. In that piece of land (last years readings) there is 1 big mature guy (8), 2 young bucks (8 and 6), 3-4 forks, and there was 2 spikes. Only one was taken, while about 10 does were taken. Hopefully, that mature guy will end up on my wall in a few weeks. And hopefully those 2 young bucks got a little bigger.

I know that QDM doesnt work overnight, but gosh darn-it, it works. For better deer herds and more mature deer, QDM needs to be instated. The 1st few years WILL be rough, it is very obvious, but the MI DNR really needs to step up.

Quick Reply: Michigan QDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.