Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Any Missouri slobberknockers yet? >

Any Missouri slobberknockers yet?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any Missouri slobberknockers yet?

Old 11-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Default RE: Any Missouri slobberknockers yet?

I am not biologist...but I am betting the rut starts the day AFTER gun season is over......it was 75 degrees here yesterday ....said it was gonna hit 33 last night...made it to 41......today 70...tomorrow 75......seems the deer bed down most of the day.....the sky is clear the moon is bright....almost everything is happening while we sleep.....Missouri needs to extend the modern gun season......just like ducks....by the time they get here....the season is over.....
Old 11-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Spike

My Dad and I hunt in Callaway County(central MO) and saw 2 good size bucks and2 does youth weekend, but none of them offered shots. Opening rifle weekend we saw 2 yearlings Sunday evening that were too small to shoot. I had to go home for school on Mondayand when I got home from schoolmy dad (who is still hunting because he got to take off work) calls and says he got the biggest buck hes ever seen after only being in his stand for about an hour[:@]
Old 11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Well the bucks seem to have disappeared in my neck of the woods. I shot a yearling first thing saturday morning. I saw a total of 8 deer saturday, all does and fawns. Passed on a spike sunday morning...then managed to contract the flu.[:@]I knew I should have shot him!

Anyway, the good news is: my wife was able to take her first deer Saturday morning. It was nice 140 pound doe. She made a great 150 yard shot right through the shoulders! To top it off, my little sister took a doe about the same size, at the same time. They were both hunting out of the same blind in our pasture. All in all, it's been a great season so far!

GH
Old 11-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Took this one on Saturday in the middle of the day. He was chasing a doe through one of the CRP fields.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:20 PM

Great looking deer DBB......glad someone is having a productive time....I am hoping this severe weather change will make something move Weds or Thursday morning.....going from 74 to 26 degrees in 36 hours....well....I do have my hopes up ....
Old 11-16-2005, 06:49 AM

Well Im in Dent couty Mo, and it was pretty slow up until the week before rifle season, but I hunted all week and saw deer every time I sat a stand, and one great shooter chased a doe right under my stand but wouldnt stop for me, I was at full draw with the pin on his shoulder, but as much as I tried, he wouldnt stop, he just trotted by and right under me never changed pace, and I wouldnt shoot him moving, I even yelled at him, after everything else failed to stop him, he never even heard me. Id say he would go in the 130s to maybe 140, a great looking 10. But on the rifle opener, I managed to take a 12 pointer, not huge, but I wasnt going to let him walk either, he flipped over backwards and broke his g-3 off his left beam, but it can be fixed. He was down in a deep valley with lots of white oaks in it, I passed a few others right before he came through, After last rifle season, and this bow season, I was happy to get him. I also found out my neighbor took a huge buck an Monday, and Ill get a picture from him and post it, I saw the pics and it truly is a monster. Sorry about the quality of the pic of my buck, its all I have right now.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:37 PM

Well took some time off from the Army to hunt for about 18 days on my farm in Mercer county. I was seeing plenty of deer activity from 2 Nov until about 8 nov then it slowed down until the second day of the gun opener. I harvested 2 doe's with my Bow and 2 with my rifle. i was on a doe mission this year. I messed up on a 140 class 10 pointer. I trailed him for three hours on the third day of rifle season but bad weather erased the blood.I felt sick so I decided to not shoot another buck and just claim the lost one as my buck for the year. I'm really into QDM these days and want the heard to be in balance thus why I shot 4 does this year. I saw a total of 21 bucks of which 15 where 8 points or better, but only 3 of those 8's or better were considered shooters on my farm (130 or bigger) the antler ristriction is really working. Sorry for the long post.