Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Minnesota hospitality >

Minnesota hospitality

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Minnesota hospitality

Old 10-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Minnesota hospitality

Just got back from a fun filled week in Minnesota. I hunted for 4 days in Parkers Prarie, and 1 day in Wadena (thanks TeeJay)!!! I had a great time, although the full moon killed us, the fields were full of deer when we left in the morning to go to our stands, but by daylight they were nonexistent.

This Maryland boy learned a few things about Minnesota........

#1 Its FLAT!!!! Every freakin square acre is as flat a a pancake (no wonderpeople thought the world was flat, they lived in Minnesota)
#2 You must drive 80 mph on the hard roads and 65 mph on the dirt roads. If not you'd never get anywhere.
#3 Every buisness closes at 7pm no matter what (except the Cozy Cup) where we ate dinner EVERY night because nothing else was open when we got done hunting.
#4 Every person KNOWS you dont belong there, and gives you the "you aint from around here are ya boy?" look all the time. (I guess wearing the bright red sweatshirt with MARYLAND on it doesnt help)
#5 Every deer in Minnesota is at least 130 lbs......fawns are born 130 lbs and grow from there, 1 1/2 year old does are like 170 lbs!!
#6 You can drive 30 miles (from Wadena to Parkers prarie) and not pass another vehicle.....not even see headlights in any direction!!!!
#7 Pheasant hunters can stop their truck in the middle of the road pull out their shotgun and open up on unsuspecting birds at any time. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING ROAD!!!!!!!
#8 Did I mention it was flat???
#9 I dont think too many Miss America contestants evercame
from the Parkers Prarie/ Wadena area......except TeeJays girlfriend she was a cutie

#10 Huntingnet allowed me to meet a really cool guy (TeeJay) whom I hope will remain my friend for a long time, thanks for taking me hunting!!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Minnesota hospitality

You bet brother, come on back anytime!!!!!!!! But serously think about trading those Hoyts of and getting something different, I still do have an old Bear Whitetail hunter. I'll trade Joe but he will have to give me a bit to boot!!!!!! lol
Old 10-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

#3 Every buisness closes at 7pm no matter what (except the Cozy Cup) where we ate dinner EVERY night because nothing else was open when we got done hunting.
Thats cuz everyone around here is deer hunting.....You wait until rifle season opens, there will signs on business doors saying "Closed for deer opener" and yes I'm very serious. The best part about this is that folks accept it as a legitimate reason for a business to be closed. BTW I'm in Detroit Lakes, about 45 min. west of Wadena. Glad you had a great time though.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Flat!?!?! You come on down to the SE corner of the state and there is nothing flat about it. I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed the state...

lol, born at 130 pounds! get real, 80-90 pounds yes.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

^^^^^ LOL Love the tice pic
Old 10-25-2005, 09:55 AM

Northeast Minnesota whereI hunt isn't flat, very hilly and no farm land, if you ever get up this way let me now I'd be happy to show you some really good hunting spots.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

You hunted in some good area for bucks. You need to come the week before gun season to see the action. If you didn't see the women you wanted I am surprised you didn't go to Lookers.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude!!!! We did go to lookers 2 nights!!!! How could you miss those huge blue lights on top, hell we thought it was a sobriety checkpoint when we were coming down rt29 lol!! The girls there we pretty sweet, one in fact had my attention most of the evening, I think her name was Cloe? She wore this little school girl outfit .....well nevermind. Anyway, yes we visited lookers, but it sucked that they dont sell alcohol!!! WTF!!! we had to go out in our truck and drink and then come back in.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lookers, that heathen place tisk tisk!!!!! LMAO
Old 10-28-2005, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Flat!?!?! You come on down to the SE corner of the state and there is nothing flat about it. I'm glad you had a good time and enjoyed the state...

lol, born at 130 pounds! get real, 80-90 pounds yes.
Yea, some of those hills are so high it can take a good 45 minutes to walk to the top of them! [8D]

RE the size of deer. There are some hawgs fershure, but I once shot Bambi's little sister and after gutting her, I could easily pick her up by the fur on her back and shake her good to finish the job. I prefer larger does, but this was a snap shot taking a second deer out of a group that was trotting through. Not that you have to make any excuses for shooting any legal deer in the area I hunt (intensive harvest "brown down" area) But tasteee? Mmmmm.