Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 illinois hunters; how was your opener >

illinois hunters; how was your opener

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

illinois hunters; how was your opener

Old 10-01-2005, 08:02 PM

Default illinois hunters; how was your opener

unfortunatly i was not able to get out this moring as i had not way to get to the woods cause my dad had to work and i stayed at a friends house,,,,but i did make it out this evening and had mixed success,,,i had a couple does come into a fawn bleat,,but they never gave me a shot,,as i have to open shoting lane to the south of my stand and also cause they were on the nieghboring property,,,,i was hoping that they would come in front of me so i could have a shot at one but they did not what to come over,,one of the started to a couple time but kept looking over at me sniffin the air and finaly would turn around,,so i do not know what the deal was,concidering they could not realy see me cause of the tree branches and cause i did not dare to move at all,,,,oh well theres always tomarrow,,,,,so how was your opener???
Old 10-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: illinois hunters; how was your opener

i went out for a few hours this morning. man, it is great to be up in the tree again. i saw a big doe about 9am, but never gave a shot. the public land im hunting changed to doe only this year. it was real hot out by 11 am, i packed it up for the day cause i had stuff going in the afternoon. n
Old 10-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Typical Buck

Right at legal shooting light I had a fat doe trot in on the trail I walked in on and she ran directly beneath me....could've taken her but it's only the first day. Then as she was going down the hill to the corn field a fork horn was coming up it and passed about 15 yards out. I was a little confused at first and thought the doe had just changed her mind about the direction but I know it was two different deer b/c I would have seen the horns if it was him that passed below me. Then about an hour later a bunch of turkeys ran out into the corn....wish I would have remembered my turkey calls! It was a very nice morning though...felt good to be back on stand.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw 8 deer, the only buck was a little fork horn so i let them all go by. My cousin say 14 and he shot a 6 pointer so all in all i very good way to start off the season for the first day.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted his in the Bowhunting forum too. I had does and fawns all around me yesterday a.m., but I didn't feel like butchering in 80 degree weather. I was lucky enough to kill a turkeyduring my afternoon hunt. I had over 20 come in and managed to get drawn on a hen. I shot her at 12yds. and she went down right there. That was the 5th. turkey I have taken with a bow. She is going on the grill tomorrow!I am ready for it to cool off soon. Good luck to you all!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:36 PM
CJW

Just before shooting light I had two small does come right next to the stand, one of them melled the rope to pull my bow up and looked at me but thought nothing of it. At 8 o'clock six does came in, I stood up when the lead doe got her head behind a tree but she knew something was up so she turned back around the rest of them and trotted off. One was still standing there broadside so I pulled back, released, and the arrow skinned her back. I don't know what happened but it still makes me feel sick. I hope she's alright and they come back, but we'll have to see.

CJW
Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

HOT. And no, I don't mean the action. It just didn't feel like deer season honestly. I did have a considerable amount of luck though. Took a crack at a big doe, but misjudged the shot distance and put the arrow right below her belly. Man I either need to pre-mark yardages at my stand or learn how to judge distance better or SOMETHING. The windage was perfect by the way, just picked the wrong pin. I guess I'd call it an OK weekend for being as warm as it is.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rather uneventful here in NE IL. Nothing Sat morning, missed a shot at a coyote on Sat afternoon, then got busted by a doe that snuck up behind me, and eventaully spooked one on my way out for the night.

Worked at our hunt club Sun morning then went out last night and didn't see a thing.

All I know is that it's HOT and I really don't think the deer are moving until just before dark. There's a cold front moving in this week and I'm hoping the movement starts picking up when that rolls in. Heading down to Effingham this weekend to try my luck down there!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Found out yesterday afternoon that my friend's brother shot one of the big 10 pt. that we've been seeing all summer long. He shot it on Sat. evening. Anyways, it field dressed somewhere between 210-220 lbs and we taped it yesterday at 185 2/8! (and we didn't even measure the sticker point on its right G2 or some of the trash on the bases). It will definitely net B&C....it's pretty symetrical and hasnice mass too. It's one heck of a deer!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Give him my congrats. Anyone who kills that kind of trophy considering the conditions last weeked deserves props.

Quick Reply: illinois hunters; how was your opener

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.