Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 ground blind use in Wisc.. >

ground blind use in Wisc..

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

ground blind use in Wisc..

Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default ground blind use in Wisc..

As i mentioned in a previous post i picked up a ground blind for rifle season this year. Here in Wisc, we have to be dressed in Blaze Orange. I would imagine that you have to have some Orange on your ground blind for safety. How do you achieve this? Does anyone know the proper way or rules behind using a ground blind that is camo during rifle?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ground blind use in Wisc..

On public land in WI, most guys I know wouldn't even consider being on ground level, wanting the somewhat protection of being up in a tree. Hopefully no one is shooting upwards. Man, there is ALOT of shooting in the woods of WI.

I believe the phrase, "If it's brown - it's down!" started in WI.

But I do use my own designs of blinds here in IL (southern) for gun hunting (shotgun/handgun/muzzle/BP), both made of man made nettings and such and blinds constructed of natural material and combos of both is my preffered set up, especially in deadfalls and blow overs. Blow overs are the best cause they aren't dead and hols more branches/leaves/foilage.

I have never read any requirement that a bling here in IL must have blaze orange on the outside although the hunter must follow rules of orange. I will look into this further. I have a bicycle flag a raise when I'm in blind and hide away when "not home".

Keep in mind I hunt our private property 90% of the time.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Idon't think there are any laws or rules reguarding pop-up blinds, but you are right that you should take some kind of precaution. Maybe pin a pc. of blaze orange to the top of the blind so that it can be seen from all angles. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:13 PM

Keep in mind I hunt on private land so if you are on public land, you need to be very careful. In some cases you can buy the orange to fit over it. I just tie orange marking tape to the poles. It stands out, but it does not spook the deer.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

On public land in WI, most guys I know wouldn't even consider being on ground level, wanting the somewhat protection of being up in a tree.
This only works on flatland.....like in Ill.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:03 PM

As long as Chai Vang stays locked up you should be safe in the woods in Wisconsin
Old 08-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

What I have seen some hunters do is they must purchase the fabric at a Wal Mart or MaryAnn Fabrics .... but it is blaze orange cloth.... After they get their ground blind set up they pin about a yard square of it to the center of the round roof of the blind.. It's amazing how far off you can spot that blind even when it is back in the bushes..
Old 08-30-2005, 09:27 PM

No rules on blaze orange on your pop up blinds. I wouldnt be too worried about it, maybe orange tape on the sides a little bit. I've hunted out of man made ground blinds(sticks, down treetops are awesome, with burlap camo nettting in the front.) very successfully. My uncle has hunted out of one for the last 7 or 8 years, the front is a large log that went down a while ack, and we built up the sides with brush and camo netting and dug it down so all that sticks out when he stands is his shoulders and head.

slayer