Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Don K     How did your ELK hunt go? >

Don K How did your ELK hunt go?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Don K How did your ELK hunt go?

Old 09-24-2002, 05:37 PM

Default Don K How did your ELK hunt go?

Waiting to hear your report about your Elk hunt in Montana.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!
Old 09-27-2002, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Don K How did your ELK hunt go?

Just got back today.

The hunt was excellent, and a success even know we didnt harvest anything but Articbowman took 3 grouse.

The weather was very hot when i first got there and i was in a t-shirt and shorts the first day. Then the weather changed (always does in the mountains) and we saw rain (and snow) with temps around 25 in the morning to 60-70 during the day.

The first evening out we saw a cow with a calf, and another cow come off the mountain into the meadow and that gave us a starting point to scout. From there we hiked the mountain doing from 8-10 miles a day on our feet, up and down and over the deadfalls. I came real close at taking a cow on the 3rd day of the hunt but she heard us as i was getting around the tree to get a clear shot at her.

The bulls where bugling the first weekend we where there in the AM then they shut up like someone turned off a lightswitch. I got one to answer me in the middle of the week in the AM but that was it. The second week in the start i was able to bugle up 2 bulls in the same evening and they didnt get into bow range. The first was a 5X5, and the second a HUGE bull that i could not get a good look at. He hung up at 60-65 yards and just raked and pushed trees around. This last tues we had probably one of the best times that will ever be had. I called in a 320-330 class Bull to my partner within 15 yards or so. Called him in 3 different times within 10 minutes but Jerry never could get a clear shot at him. We where set up in some real thick stuff. It was real exciting watching this guy get pissed off though and try to find that bull. The more i screemed at him the more he got ticked!!!

All in all i would say we saw around 60 elk or so on the public land we where hunting. In that about 8 different bulls with 3 of them in the 300 plus range.

Theres more to the hunt and stories under the bowhunting forum. The post is labled " Calling in from Montana" as we posted from the Holiday Inn before we left. If you have time, read that im sure i left out alot here (pretty tired from the drive back).

How did your hunt go??

Old 09-28-2002, 01:01 AM

Hi Don

Yes i did read the post in the bowhunting forum.AWESOME....

I dont know how one couldnt enjoy a hunt like that.Specially with other board members.Maybe i should be taking you to work a call for me.I leave the 7th.Just about a week away.Im hearing bugling in my sleep i got it so bad...lol

Did one of you guys take a laptop with you on the hunt or did the Inn have a comp?

Im not a guide........But i did stay at the Holiday Inn Express the other night.........."CLASSIC"

Ill be watching for the whitetail posts....Straight flight and tight groupings buddy!!

Old 09-28-2002, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Carpetguy,

Good luck on the hunt. Seems the rut was running late so you may hit it just right.

The Holiday Inn had a computer there with free access. Thats why we jumped on it and left a message here.

Deer opens tues, cant wait!!!!!

Old 09-29-2002, 06:11 PM

Thanks for that insight Don.Our hunt doesnt start till the 11th.But we are going to do some Pheasant and Grouse hunting along with trying Coyotes and whatever Prairie dogs we can find.And alittle Walleye fishing.I was told they are hitting big time right now there.Im going to need to take a vacation after my vacation to rest up before going back to work.

Edited by - carpetguy on 09/29/2002 19:18:11