Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ground Blind hunting >

Ground Blind hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ground Blind hunting

Old 07-18-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Ground Blind hunting

Does anybody hunt whitetails from a ground blind? I have heard while turkeys wont pay attention to a blind, deer are afraid of them. Is this true and could you share some tips with me on how to hunt deer from a ground blind?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:53 PM

Default RE: Ground Blind hunting

This is the first season I will be hunting from a pop up type blind, but I have friends who have in the past and their experience has been if it is not set up right in the open there is no problem.

When they have hunted in open areas they set the blind up about a week ahead of time. They are on private land, so they are not worried about it disappearing on them.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:16 PM

We have taken alot of deer from ground blinds. None however have been from a popup type but from homemade blinds. We also have taken several deer while sitting just a couple of rows in standing corn. With good camo and knowledge of wind direction it in my opinion can be as effective as stand hunting. There is also no other feeling like taking a deer within 20yds. at eye level.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:16 PM

I have hunted with pop-up blinds with my boys a few times with limited success. Last year though one my sons and I watched a parade of does go past us without paying us any attention. Even had a coyote pass within 40 yards. All in all I would rather be up in a tree but if that isn't possible I will hunt from a blind as long as it is in a strategic spot where the visibility is adequate.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:56 PM

I've had does come up to the blind and smell it and then walk off as if it was nothing more than a weird bush. As long as you practice inteligent scent control and make an attempt to blend the blind into it's surroundings it will work any game animal on the planet. If you get one, make sure it's got enough room to draw a bow in. Even if you don't bowhunt now you might in the future so it's worth it to get that extra bit of room in there. Also remember to bring a chair of some sort to sit on. I have a folding camp stool that works fine and it's small enough to store in the blind bag.
You will be amazed at how much you can move around in one of those things. It allows you to strech your legs, get a drink of water and have a bite to eat without worrying about your movement scaring game.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:21 PM

im gona make one and hunt from it this year.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:32 AM

i started using a blind last year. so far it's working great. i use it for bow hunting as well as gun hunting. you have to make sure you have good placement and cover it to concel it as much as you can. as for deer being afraid of it thats not true. i have had them within 20yards of the blind. try one and you might just like it.good luck prodaddy1
Old 08-15-2005, 07:02 AM

i think ill try a blind this year i normally just sit in the brush along the fence
Old 08-15-2005, 02:50 PM

My dad has hunted from the ground for the last 10 years or so. We use camo netting between a few trees (the kind with the leaf cutout shapes).We have had does stick their noses through the netting. Last yeardad had a 2 year old buck tending a doe 10-20 yards from him, when the buck would backup he would almost hit the blind.
And dad uses absolutly NO scent control measures.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

the first year i ever bowhunted i had no stand just sat next to the base of a tree and saw plenty of deer very close even had a buck stare at me for an eternity at just 15 feet!

Quick Reply: Ground Blind hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.