Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Do it yourself hunt >

Do it yourself hunt

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Do it yourself hunt

Old 07-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do it yourself hunt

Greetings all from Virginia!!! Me and my buddy and possibly my brother as well are looking to try something new this year.

We are thinking about a do it yourself style hunt out where the big deer are!!! We are not thinking of shooting a P & Y deer although that would be nice. But instead looking to hunt somewhere new for a change. I would like to connect on one of those cow sized deer you all have out there. The average deer around here weigh in the 130 range so they arent the pigs you guys have. Dont get me wrong we have some excellent hunting here and some nice trophys but we are looking for a change of pace.

This would be a bow hunt we are trying to put together. Is there anyone who might be ineterested in swaping a hunt or can some of you guys point us towards the right source for information on public hunting and where if any there is some decent public lands out that way

Thanks a million

Old 07-12-2005, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Do it yourself hunt

Although I hate to invite more people into the state, give southeastern Ohio some thought. You'll have to do your own research (check the DNR web site) and scouting, but there is a ton of public land in the southern and southeastern part of the state. The out of state licenses are pretty reasonable and this year you can still take three does or a buck and two does in that part of the state (BTW - The doe I shot last year was well over your 130 pound average). Good luck.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

Although I live in Seattle now, I used to hunt Iowa and Minnesota. If I remember correctly the three main states are IA, MN and WI, I could be mistaken. I used to hunt over in Decorah, IA on public lands anda little private landand there are some big deer along the Upper Iowa and Mississippi. Huge PIGS.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:15 PM

if yah wanna try southwest ohio let me know im shure i can fix yah up with somethin
Old 07-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replys, bowhuntinohI will email you when things settle down around here... my dad is in ICU (see post in religion under prayer request)

Justin
Old 07-16-2005, 05:29 AM

130# That is what a doe weighs around here im in iowa. THe buck i shot last year after field dressing weighed about 230#.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Spike

Lots of public land and deer in Iowa.Give me a shout if you'd like to try Iowa
Old 07-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in MO. but have hunting in central Kansas. Kansas has lots of walk in public hunting area's, and is also known for big deer. Doe permits are cheap also, and during the lull of the day, you may get some pheasant hunting in too. good luck
Old 07-16-2005, 08:12 PM

I hunt both Kansas and Missouri, each of which have plenty of deer and opportunity. Missouri sells unlimited tags over the counter. If I can help, let me know.

Doug
Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Me and my buddy and possibly my brother as well are looking to try something new this year.
Are you gun or bow hunting?

Iowa has had their draw for NR permits already. Kansas has too but you probably can buy a Landowner Tag somewhere. MO is over the counter I believe, and Illinois lottery applications are being taken now.

I would look at getting a permit where you plan on hunting to make sure you can get one then go from there.

Quick Reply: Do it yourself hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.