HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Midwest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest-25/)
-   -   Bear Killed in Missouri (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/midwest/100852-bear-killed-missouri.html)

horntagger 05-21-2005 10:44 AM

Bear Killed in Missouri

Black bear killed near Marquand
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Scott Moyers ~ Southeast Missourian

MARQUAND, Mo. -- A 400-pound black bear was found dead Monday morning near Marquand, a day after it was shot three times by a resident who said he was afraid the bear was going to attack his dog.
Though it is illegal to kill black bears in Missouri, the man who shot the bear will not be charged because he was protecting his property, said Ken West, regional supervisor with the Missouri Department of Conservation in Cape Girardeau. The name of the man who killed the bear was unavailable Monday night.

The bear first showed up at the man's house, 3 miles south of Marquand near the Bollinger-Madison county line, on Saturday night, West said. The man ran the bear off Saturday night after it ripped boards off his shed to get to some animal feed.

Uncharacteristically, the bear returned Sunday night.

"Normally, once you run a bear off, he doesn't come back," West said. "But he came back. The guy tried to run it off again, but the bear apparently stood his ground."

The man said the bear stood up on its hind legs as the man's dog advanced. Standing up, the bear was 6 feet tall.

"He was afraid the bear was going to tear up his dog," West said. "So apparently he shot the bear three times."

The man used a .22-caliber rifle. The wounded bear ran into the woods, West said, and the man called the Bollinger County Sheriff's Department, which contacted the Department of Conservation.

The bear couldn't be located that night. The next morning, the man called the agency and said he'd found the bear dead 150 yards from the shed.

Monday morning, conservation agents retrieved the bear, a male, and stored the carcass in the walk-in freezer of a Fredericktown, Mo., taxidermist.

On Wednesday a member of the department's wildlife staff will transport the bear to Columbia, Mo., to be analyzed. The department will study stomach contents to see what it had eaten recently, take DNA samples and determine its age.

West said it's unusual for a bear sighting to end in a killing.

"He had damage to his property," he said. "We're confident this wasn't a case where the bear was just ambling by and he shot it."

West said agents had received reports of two black bears in that area during the past two or three weeks.

The black bear is the smallest bear in North America and the only one native to Missouri. Adult males generally weigh 200 to 600 pounds, and adult females weigh 100 to 300 pounds. Although most bears in Missouri are black, color varies from brown to blond.

West said multiple sightings of two bears had been made in Madison and Bollinger counties in the last few weeks. While sightings in Cape Girardeau County aren't impossible, West said, bears don't usually go into areas with high concentrations of people or traffic.

Second Reported Story
KFVS 12 TV

Black Bear Shot and Killed
By: Ryan Tate

MADISON COUNTY, MO -- John Schwan says he hopes no other black bears wind up on his property.

A black bear, unofficially measuring six feet tall and weighing between four to five hundred pounds, stole bird feed from Schwan's shed Friday night or Saturday morning. Then on Sunday, Schwan heard his dog Cleo barking outside. When he went outside, he saw the bear.

"I thought I could scare it away, but it just kept walking towards us," Schwan said. "The bear honched up making a move for the dog, so I took my gun and bang, bang, bang, three shots."

Schwan said the bear went running. After calling a Missouri Conservation Officer, the two went looking for what they thought was a wounded bear. They didn't find anything. Schwan didn't know if he actually shot the bear.

Monday Morning, Schwan went back into the woods after hearing Cleo barking. That's when he found the bear lying dead on the ground. Schwan got three conservation officers and his neighbor to help get the bear out of the woods. The group got a tractor with a front loader on it to lift the bear onto a trailer. The bear is now in a cooler at an undisclosed location in Southeast Missouri. There is no word yet on what will happen to the animal. Schwan says this is the first time he has seen a bear on his property, and he hopes it is the last.

Horntagger

P.S. Talked with the taxidermist that the bear I knew had the bear and the bear was only hit one time an it was in the lung.

They have already remove the hide and it is sent off to be tanned. Once back I believe it will be on display at the new nature campus in Cape Giraredau, Mo.

My opinion the bear should not have been shot.

psychowolverine 05-21-2005 10:45 AM

RE: Bear Killed in Missouri

Cool bear but can you upload a better picture?

jepcho 05-21-2005 03:04 PM

Wow...Good story!

rick_reno 05-21-2005 03:28 PM

What's this "Normally when you run a bear off they don't come back". They always return to food, unless dead.

Hunter06FlKy 05-21-2005 03:53 PM

i personally think that the shooting of the bear was juststifiably. that man obviously wasn't out to just kill a bear. it was tearing up his property and he was thinking it was going to attack his dog. i would've acted in the same manner except i would've shot it with my 44 just to be on the safe side. but that's just me...

recurver67 05-22-2005 08:04 PM

Going after a 400# bear with a 22 cal, That guy has more guts then a blind burglar. Cool story.

lilrobinhood 06-10-2005 12:11 PM

i killed a coon with my bb gun!

max the dog 06-19-2005 11:00 PM

He killed it 3 shots from a .22????

Listening to some of the guys around here you'd think that anything less than a .338 would just bounce off the fur.