HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Land for Sale or Lease (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/land-sale-lease-92/)
-   -   Looking for lease in Pa (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/land-sale-lease/421477-looking-lease-pa.html)

Chris76 08-11-2019 04:49 AM

Looking for lease in Pa

Hi I am looking for a lease to join or to have a lease of my own. My boy is 12 now and loves to hunt so I am looking to find a place that I can take him and teach him the sport of hunting. If I join a lease I will give up my buck tag so my son can be the one to have a chance at a buck. I am not lazy and will take care of the land and I will respect all land rules. Thank you Chris

mrbb 08-11-2019 08:29 AM

maybe list what part of the state your in and or wish to hunt in!

have you looked at basic web sites like, Basecamp leasing , they normally have leases in PA on there!

and any reasons your NOT interested in hunting state game lands?
there are some pretty good game lands these days that do food plots and some better habitat management in PA too!
and can save you some $$ in the process!

Chris76 08-11-2019 09:29 AM

I live in Bald Eagle but will drive a hour or longer if I find one. Yes I have checked the web sites out and I have contacted one of them. They are going to get back with me. They said there is a group ahead of me and I took my son to state game lands last year and it wasn’t good. Orange everywhere and then when I finally found a spot we sat down and set up and a half hour later some guy said he hunts that area I have to move. I said it’s open to the public but he got pretty aggressive so I took my son and left. If my son wasn’t with me it wouldn’t have turned out so good. Guy was very rude. So that’s why I am looking to find a nice safe place for me and my son.

mrbb 08-11-2019 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chris76 (Post 4359328)
I live in Bald Eagle but will drive a hour or longer if I find one. Yes I have checked the web sites out and I have contacted one of them. They are going to get back with me. They said there is a group ahead of me and I took my son to state game lands last year and it wasn’t good. Orange everywhere and then when I finally found a spot we sat down and set up and a half hour later some guy said he hunts that area I have to move. I said it’s open to the public but he got pretty aggressive so I took my son and left. If my son wasn’t with me it wouldn’t have turned out so good. Guy was very rude. So that’s why I am looking to find a nice safe place for me and my son.

well sorry you had a bad experience on game lands, but it does happen and sadly it even happens on private lands your SUPPOSED to have to yourself
couldn;t tell you how many times over the yrs I had folks trespass on opening day or in hunting season adn get smart mouthed with me as if they owned the place when they had zero rights to be there
this type of person is sadly out there, so JUST cause your on a lease, or again private lands, doesn't stop these idiots sadly!
but it does lower the odds, I guess(I can disagree on one farm I managed it was ALL the time deal there and always new idiots too)
another thing you can try is placing an add on your local craigslist, and or local new's paper
or even if your a church goer, many times at church they have bulletin boards you can place a add and get some tips or leads, to either a lease or private land access!

its also still possible to get permission the old fashion way too by traveling area's you have interest and knocking on doors and asking, just saying, that isn't over YET
some folks still allow it to happen and give you better odds of not having a bad experience/run in again too!
a lot comes down to your approach at times too, and or any offers to LEASE
many farmers still like to get help and in exchange for hunting access
just don't wait too long, prime time busy time for farmers is FAST approaching with harvest times closing in!
Good luck

Chris76 08-11-2019 11:20 AM

That’s a great idea to put a ad on the church board. The church I attend is a good size so thank you for that info. I have knocked on a couple doors but the people where not the land owners. I do have a question the one lady said let her think about it and was worried if I would get hurt and I said I would sign a paper and pay to have it notarized and she was worried that wouldn’t be enough. Is there anything I can do that will put the land owner at ease if my son or I would get hurt. I am honestly not the type to sue. That’s what is ruining this world people sue over anything. Thank you for the advise and hopefully that one person will read this and say hey I would like to meet you and let you join our lease. Thanks again for the advise.

Bocajnala 08-11-2019 11:35 AM

Chris,

I lived in Altoona for a while and hunted allot of the public land in the area. It does get hit hard, so I understand your desire to get away from all that.

That being said, while I only hunted two years in that area, I know some guys who do very good every year there. Regularly taking deer in archery, muzzle loader and rifle seasons. Even taking a few bears over the years.

They run cameras year around, and they use the public pressure to their benefit. So it is do-able.

Mrbb gave you pretty good advice. Especially asking around your church, and knocking on doors. It takes time and effort, but eventually you'll find some that say yes. The problem then will be who else they say yes too.

Also, instead of joining an existing lease.... If you have money you're willing to spend...
Approach some local farmers and see if they'll lease to you. Have an idea of what you want, and what you're willing to spend, write up on a paper, and present it to the landowners.
​​​​
-Jake

mrbb 08-11-2019 12:42 PM

two things I will say here is this, MOST all leases will require you to get insurance on things, to protect the land owners, its common practice
so, I gather if the lady was willing to sign a lease with you and you were able to produce proof of insurance to protect her and YOU, that might help her feel better
YOU can also have her talk with a game warden, NOT 100% sure if they would help you, BUT not so long ago they did pass some law in PA< protecting land owners from law suits by those hunting on lands or something of the likes
I also know if you GO on many Ohio hunting sights there used to be a permission to HUNT private land form, that you can print out, and get signed by BOTH you and land owner stating WHEN your allowed on lands and NOT,
it won;t hive legal value as it will in Ohio, but it can at least show that you both agreed to the terms on it and then maybe have that notarized with her present and each getting a copy

here is a link to printable forms, I gather you can make new one's up with PA info on it, and possibly help get you access, once signed and notarized, and it also helps protect YOU<
I once was given verbal permission by a land owner, and then they magically changed there mind and tried to have me arrested for trespassing, but local warden knew the guy and said it wasn't the first time he did so, so, I was lucky and got out of that, plus I wasn't even hunting the day he called me in , I was just scouting the place NO weapon on me which also helped me too I think!

but without a slip on you, it can real fast come down to a he said she said deal, so its nice to have on hand , no matter what IMO!
and IF any one wishes to lease you land I HIGHLY recommend you get that in writing as well>
many might NOT want to for tax reasons and reporting income, but, there are ways to make that work(price can be cash in hand and "X" on paper LOL)

the name of the game is be protected as well as them!
its sad world when so many want to sue folks for there own actions! and why these issue are here now as to yrs back!

here is the link to the forms I spoke of

https://apps.ohiodnr.gov/wildlife/do...on_to_hunt.pdf

mrbb 08-11-2019 12:45 PM

also, I really wish PA would enact the rule like Ohio has, about NON land owners on private land must carry these forms with them, I would BET it cut down on a LOT of trespassing issue's and the PA game commission would make a LOT of cash in handing out tickets to those that didn;t have them, making a LOT of land owners real happy in the process!
win win in my eye's but doubt the game commission will ever do it! but I won' t give my reasons for why I think this, LOL

Bocajnala 08-11-2019 05:38 PM

Pennsylvania provides the same type of form..

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/Documents/Permission%20to%20Hunt%20Trap.pdf

-Jake

mrbb 08-11-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4359350)
Pennsylvania provides the same type of form..

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/...unt%20Trap.pdf

-Jake

yes I forgot about them LOL

But sadly the game dept doesn;'t enforce them or make them required to have on person when on private lands!(in PA that is)