Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Land for Sale or Lease
Where to buy some cheap Texas land for deer hunting? >

Where to buy some cheap Texas land for deer hunting?

Community
Land for Sale or Lease Post your hunting land for sale here!

Where to buy some cheap Texas land for deer hunting?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Spike

Default Where to buy some cheap Texas land for deer hunting?

Hello fellas. I hope y'all having a wonderful evening.

I am new to the hunting scene. I've only shot 2 deers in my life, and I am 25 years old. Those two deers that I shot were fairly recent (calendar-wise), and I had one of the best times in my life.

I graduated college, and been working for about 3 years. I have finally been able to pay off all of my loans (a lot of it), and now I am looking forward into my future, in investments and all that stuff for when I get old. I am looking to buy some land where I can hunt (anywhere in Texas), and in a few months, I would have accumulated about $20,000.

The other day the fellas and I went hunting, and I had the best time of my life. We had some beers, camp fires, a lots of stories for good old memory's sake. The best part of it was hunting the deer, and I love the rush. I had a ball.

I am not looking to finance or anything like that, as my ma always say "don't buy anything you don't have, except for your school". I am just looking to buy it with the hard earned money that I will have saved. So I am looking at some research as of now.

My question to y'all is:
How much land can I get with $20,000?
Will that amount of money be sufficient in hunting in my own land?
I know you usually need about 200-300 acres, but just for a beginner.
I will eventually save up and buy a feeder too.
I'd rather lease some land for hunting, but I am looking at investment values too. At least at the end of the day, I will have a return on my investment, and it will be my property. I also have asked the boys about the land, but I'd want y'all to give me some opinions because it seems like there are a lot of people here know what they doing.

Thank you.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure what land in Texas is going for. But for prime land here in Nebraska, it's selling in places for $12,000 per ACRE!

Sorry to break it to you, but without financing, $20,000 is going to be just about enough to maybe put a mailbox on, much less a feeder and a herd of deer.

Now a $20,000 down payment on a piece of land could get ya started.....

Just curious, what did you go to school for? My guess isn't real estate or finance. (Just bustin your balls)

Look up a real estate agent and listings for the area you are interested in. It will give you an idea what your local market is looking like.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, 12k per acre is crazy. I have land in southern Colorado and you can buy it for $900 to $1,200 per acre. This is in world class mulie country, not too mention the elk hunting isn't too shabby.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Spike

Checkout www.landsoftexas.com. It's a statewide land listing. Good luck with your search!!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

i dont know TX land prices
but $20k for hundreds of acres is a stretch,
first i would look at the market and see what rural land is worth around there
few things that cost extra,
location, anything near a city/highway/metropolitan area will cost more,
features such as water, meadows, views will cost more,
if the land has been worked such as farmland will cost more
if cant find size at your price,
look for a smaller lot that borders state land,
even a 5 acre lot bordering stateland can give you access to those lands and almost as its your backyard.
if your looking strictly for hunting, may be interested in a landlocked parcel with easement access, those usually cost less as access is limited, some dont want the possible legal headaches that come with easements, but for less $$$, might be a consideration,
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

check out east texas...pine tree farms are the thing out there.
20 acres aint much, but if ya plant it, or find one just started , in 20 years it will pay off pretty good, then ya buy 20 more acres next to it ya got 40...little at a time right?
i would just put 20k down on 100 acres and pay monthly for 20 years. after your tree's get big, ya get more money off 100 acres of tree's than ya do 20.
its cheaper than a lease for sure, and eventually you will own the land....but it aint 1200 acres like a lease is.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Spike

Howabout

Im 48 and I have been hunting for only 20yrs which is not much. Unfortunately I live in the city and did not have the facility until later years. In my opinion, you should not jump into a property in Texas right now. Texas is has such vast terrain that I would use the money to go on hunts on different parts of Texas so you can see what area you like most. It would be a mistake to buy something and then find out you could of bought somewhere else which suited your need better. That said, if you still wish to buy land, the best bang for the buck will be West Texas. You can find acreage there around $500/acre. The area I like most is Hill Country because of the landscape and variety of exotics in the area. The area is spectacular. The other area is west of Lubbock. The terrain is flatter but is has some beautiful canyons and flat top mesas that will take your breath away. The hunting there is also excellent. You really need to know what you want in order to buy a piece of land, if not you will end up regretting it. I am 20yrs in and not completely sure which area I would like to buy into. Anyways here are just some for your entertainment

http://hillcountryrealestate.net/

http://www.solidrockrealestate.net/index.html

http://www.texashuntingland.com/

http://www.hillcountryranches.com/index.asp

http://www.landwatch.com/
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 10 acres close to commerce TX, I am paying on but I wouldnt mind someone taking over payments ($300 per month)...There are hogs on or around the property. It is heavily wooded/undeveloped. I owe approximately $26K. PM me if interested