Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Carlyle dam & Shelbyville

Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Carlyle dam & Shelbyville

Mr. Carlyle hit Carlyle Dam today for the first time this season. Launched at 8:30 stayed till 5. Did not see one big head!!Gar were up they boated 40 gar and one common. River is still up but have seen it higher, still very muddy.

Taking Cliff tomorrow to Shelbyville for the day looks good sunny, 5-10 mph wind. Got all my fish spoke for. Have a guy who wants some carp for a cat fishing trip. Cliff wants any Buff's we get and my Chinese buddy wants any gar. So hopefully will make them all happy.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

good luck we went out saturday and it was perfect. Big gar were up in most coves and i missed a 60+". No commons sucking tho it was weird and only a few buffs. Then headed to river and not many gar and a few carp here and there and a lot dirtier than the lake. Lake had good vis the farther south but i didnt go past findley marina
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Johnny, let us know when the bigheads are up at the Carlyle spillway. I may have to make a bighead run before I'm officially off to Utah.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, Christine! Like I said Cliff and I got to the ramp at 9am. was over an hour before we seen and hit first fish (small long nose). finally boated 3 common's had 2 buff's pull off. Water is actually higher that at state's. Water is at top of ramp and they have the high water ramp open. Water clarity is pretty good. We never left Wolf cove, fish just were not up at all. seen 3 gar total maybe 5 buffs and maybe 6 commons. I think the high water is killing it all the grass and junk is piled up against the bank and if they are under it you just cant see them. was still nice being out on a nice day, sun, little wind.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Things still tough down below the dam at carlyle. Mr. Carlyle went there again yesterday. first the sauger run is still on and the river was choked with boats. Anyhow no big heads were seen on the main stretch of river below the spill way. they did find some down river by what we call the 'hog lot'. that is where the river makes a big horseshoe bend and there is a big shallow flat on the east side. He said that the big heads were right on the channel cut along the edge of the river and hog lot. Said they were deep and hard to see. A ranger told him that they were stacked shoulder to shoulder up above the barrels by the spill way. The did shoot between 30-40 gar all small mostly in the old river bed under the walking bridge.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

we are going to shelbyville tonight hopefully. It is clearing up a lot and we seen plenty of fish last sunday. I didnt shoot much because of two rookies in the boat but we seen a lot of fish and they missed a ton of cake shots