Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

First time hitting embrass

Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default First time hitting embrass

Hitting the embrass river for the first time. IDK if thats how its even spelled but taking a new guy and also found out u can bowfish lake charleston. So if we dont see any in the river we will pop in the lake. Might do it anyways cause i have not ever seen anyone bowfish it b4 although i know there is no way i could be the first to know.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Be interested as to how you do. The only time I bowfished it, the water was pretty stained and the locals seemed to think it was about average. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

When we got there we knew the water wsa stained but figured we might find some better. BUt that was actually the best. Worst i have seen in a long time. Had about a 10lb fish right next to boat swimming and all i could see was fin and really thought it was a shad. Shot it and it was in only 8" of water and i couldnt even see ts back. But there were alot of fish in the river and alot of them bigger big. Actually got 3 and they averaged prob 10 lbs or more. I think it was so dirty because the water was still and alot of fish in there. Then in the lake was a little better we could actually see some fish. But the average size was prob 2lbs at best. Some monster lb shad but i only got one that was like 3/4lb. In 4 hrs on the lake we might have seen 40 carp max and that generous. Wont be making that trip again!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

new guy was a lefty and got his first two with my right handed recurve
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JPIKE
When we got there we knew the water wsa stained but figured we might find some better. BUt that was actually the best. Worst i have seen in a long time.
Nice to know some things never change....... Not Really.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

One of the fisheries biologists told me that he's seen bigheads stacked up in huge schools in the Embarrass river. Has anyone tried bighead tactics on that river?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HNI_Christine
One of the fisheries biologists told me that he's seen bigheads stacked up in huge schools in the Embarrass river. Has anyone tried bighead tactics on that river?
where at tho? we was righ by lake charleston and didnt make it much farther up because we kept bottoming out everywhere. Fish were there to be had but to much effort. Olus we never been there during day so we was half lost for a bit when we got in lil side pocket
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Christine wherebouts on the embarrass r the bigheads stacked up the embarrass runs right thru Lawrenceville where i go deer hunting and thats just a couple miles from the wabash so im sure theyre there somewhere....