HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Clinton and Lake Decatur Spillways (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/347009-clinton-lake-decatur-spillways.html)

Bowfisher5 07-19-2011 10:02 PM

Clinton and Lake Decatur Spillways

FYI

It is illegal to bowfish;

Lake Clinton dam to the Rt 10 bridge

Lake Decatur dam to the Rt 48 bridge

There is a place on the Sangamon River just east of the Rt 48 bridge where you can carry a small jon boat or canoe down to the Sangamon River and head west under the Rt 48 bridge when the water is up. Not to bad to bowfish for about 2 miles to the west. Farther down river at Riverton, IL. there is a ramp in the park at the south end of town.

The Salt Creek coming out off the Clinton dam is narrow and hard to navigate unless the water is really up. To many down trees across the Salt Creek. There are some bridges down stream where you can get in a canoe or small jon boat. I wouldn't use a gas motor in the Salt Creek, to many trees.

irydhard 07-20-2011 03:38 AM

UM it is legal at the clinton spillway . we have talked to several game wardens while there. im pretty sure you cant bowfish the decatur spillway though

pure havoc 07-20-2011 06:06 AM

I have been told your not supposed to use a gas motor in the creeks anyway , electric only , we prefer to strap our bows on the front of the kayaks and find somewhere shallow to set up , works perfect ;)

Originally Posted by Bowfisher5 (Post 3825335)
FYI

It is illegal to bowfish;

Lake Clinton dam to the Rt 10 bridge

Lake Decatur dam to the Rt 48 bridge

There is a place on the Sangamon River just east of the Rt 48 bridge where you can carry a small jon boat or canoe down to the Sangamon River and head west under the Rt 48 bridge when the water is up. Not to bad to bowfish for about 2 miles to the west. Farther down river at Riverton, IL. there is a ramp in the park at the south end of town.

The Salt Creek coming out off the Clinton dam is narrow and hard to navigate unless the water is really up. To many down trees across the Salt Creek. There are some bridges down stream where you can get in a canoe or small jon boat. I wouldn't use a gas motor in the Salt Creek, to many trees.

irydhard 07-20-2011 08:36 AM

yes you can use a gas motor in salt creek who ever told you that is full of %^&^%

deer_predator 07-20-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by irydhard (Post 3825435)
yes you can use a gas motor in salt creek who ever told you that is full of %^&^%

hey potty mouth.. call me

robow7 07-20-2011 10:05 AM

They may have changed things over the years concerning the Clinton Spillway but I do know that at one time, like Uncle Dave stated, aka Bowfisher5, we were told we could not bowfish down along the riprap down to the bridge. But again, this ruling very well may have changed over time, it never ceases to amaze me how ignorant of the bowfishing regulations even those that are supposed to know..... don't know.

pure havoc 07-21-2011 07:24 AM

Talked to a DOC officer this morning about the spillway and he told me that I cannot shoot fish down there , I asked him about going on the other side of rt 10 and he said thats all private property I would have to ask the land owner about accessing there property , just a heads up , and who ever is leaving there fish at the salt creek water fowl area on the bank , better starting taking them with you they are watching it .\

forgot to ask him about the gas motor / creek thing , I was told that from someone other than DNR so they could have been FOS like you said

JPIKE 07-21-2011 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by pure havoc (Post 3825698)
Talked to a DOC officer this morning about the spillway and he told me that I cannot shoot fish down there , I asked him about going on the other side of rt 10 and he said thats all private property I would have to ask the land owner about accessing there property , just a heads up , and who ever is leaving there fish at the salt creek water fowl area on the bank , better starting taking them with you they are watching it .\

forgot to ask him about the gas motor / creek thing , I was told that from someone other than DNR so they could have been FOS like you said

which spillway can u not shoot at?

pure havoc 07-21-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by JPIKE (Post 3825700)
which spillway can u not shoot at?

Clinton Lake Spillway

irydhard 07-21-2011 10:54 PM

i guess it depends on what officer you talk to then i will call the park office tomorrow