Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Carlyle Dam 9/17

Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Carlyle Dam 9/17

Cliff and I are headed down to carlyle dam tomorrow, probably for the last trip of the season for us. Actually will be Cliff's first trip. Just checked water flow and they are letting out a paultry 325 gps, which is just a trickle. So water sill be slow and probably low. I'll let ya know how it goes
Old 09-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck Johnny B. I'm off to MO. in a.m. to stick some turkey.That always seems to go better for me than finding bigheads at Carlyle.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wanna go too!

§@&% work keeps getting in the way. LOL
Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well here is the results. First the parking lot was closed as they are building a pedestrian bridge from the parking lot to the Park on the other side of the old river. We put in down below the Suspension bridge at the town ramp. Was able to get up on the West side with no problems. Started our first float down at 10:10am got down to the suspension bridge at 10:40 with 5 fish in the barrel. Then it just got better. We were seening schools one after another. Talked to a bank fisherman that said they were really up yesterday as well. We were the only boat on the water and very few bank fishermen. Shot 3 over 20 pounds, the rest were between 10 and 15. Ended up with 20 in the boat. We loaded up at 2:30, kinda funny spent 6 hours driving round trip and only 5 hours fishing. Could have boated a lot more, but I was letting my buddy do most of the fishing as this was his first trip of the year big head fishing. He was kinda rusty. Water was pretty clear, but lots of foam on top did make it a little harder seeing them. Was able to give 10 to a local chinese resturant here in town and cliff took 2. so only had to dispos of 8. Good time for sure. not sure if it will be my last trip or not.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Spike

Cool
It should be getting better from here on out. They will continue to get shallower as it cools.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

9/29 Met my cousin Marty today down at carlyle dam spill way. Bill Kingore, Marty and my self shot 35 big heads and had 5 silvers jump into the boat. Water is Way down. The ripids below the suspension bridge is almost competely exposed no way to go down stream. The water was 70 degrees and from 3.5 feet deep to 10. Most places was running in the 7 foot range. Fish were there but extremely hard to see. You really had to know what you were looking for. Some times would just see a shadow. And they were really spooky. If they seen you they were gone. There were only a hand full of bank fishermen and one other boat who was cat fishing. Talking to this old guy who is there bout every day. He said that last week some one shot a bunch of big heads and just dumped them on the ground by the boat ramp. Another time some one put theirs in the dumpster. That kind of activity will get us thrown out quick. So please spread the word, that it is ok to slit the fish and sink them, if you cannot give them away. May be Christine can post some of the rapids pictures.