HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Clinton Update (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/323275-clinton-update.html)

deer_predator 05-14-2010 07:47 PM

Clinton Update

Well I went to Clinton today to break in the new motor. I ran from West Side to Parnell back down to the power plant twice then did some 3/4 runs back and forth and still didn't get through that 1st tank that is needed to break it in.

The male carp are a itchin but not too many females are interested yet...I was passin on the males trying to find the females and it was getting pretty tough. If someone wanted to go for numbers they could fill a barrel in no time at all!!! Some spots were clear and some were chocolate... It really didn't matter since most of the time the backs were out of the water. Just look for the reeds..

Here is a pick of my double for the day... Notice how the bowfishing Gods are shining apon me :s2:

HNI_Christine 05-14-2010 08:19 PM

The Fan-Toon is headed to Clinton in the morning.

deer_predator 05-15-2010 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by HNI_Christine (Post 3626504)
The Fan-Toon is headed to Clinton in the morning.

Good luck.... If you are putting in on the west side the two best coves are the one to the right of the spill way clear in the back... It is complete mud but they are everywhere....

If you take a left and go to the power plant. The last cove on the left clear in the back is packed with em'.....

Good luck!!! :happy0001:

HNI_Christine 05-15-2010 06:45 AM

Thanks! Our goal is 100 carp. We haven't had a 100 fish day in awhile. Wonder how many boats will be out?

Johnny b 05-15-2010 04:41 PM

Just talked to Snuffy as he is on his way home from clinton lake. He could not find anyone to shoot with so went by himsself today and put 62 commons in the barrel. Did not get on the water till noon. So had a pretty busy afternoon. Said they were up just about everywhere. The spawn must pretty much be over, he said they were not splashing around like when they are spawning, but just up hanging by they shore line in schools of 6-10. Will be some sore shoulders in the morning.

jmbuckhunter 05-15-2010 04:49 PM

Sounds like you guys a good spot there. I may have to take a road trip some day, and maybe give Snuffy my number. :wave:

HNI_Christine 05-16-2010 08:54 AM

We went up to the wrong end to the lake apparently. We went all the way up to the power plant and worked our way back to the ramp in the afternoon. We only found spawning activity in one cove and it shut off with the rain. We quit and headed to town to warm up/dry off and eat. We launched from the west launch again right before dark. Jarad was coming off the water and he said they slayed them heading the opposite direction that we went. Darn.
Deb came out and all three of us headed out again at that really crummy time when it's too light out to use the genny but too dark to see in the water very well. We did get a few more fish but decided we really should go check out the other side of the lake. So we loaded the boat up again and then launched out of the 48 ramp. Two other bowfishing boats were heading out of there too. They went into a cove and we stayed out on the main lake... which was very choppy due to the wind that really picked up. We went over by the hot water discharge and Deb was on a roll, shooting several carp and dink shad right in a row.
This must not have been exciting enough for Deb because soon after, she dove off the boat into the lake. She changed her mind about swimming pretty quickly. While she was trying to climb back into the boat, a carp came up and sat right by her feet. Deb said I could shoot it but I thought that might be rude. :)

So, while the water was warm, the air was not so we went back to the ramp so Deb could put on dry clothes. The other two bowfishing boats had left already. I guess they weren't really seeing that many fish either.

After that we back out for a bit and just fought the wind... Props to Kendall for maintaining control of the boat in that wind.

I think after all that we ended up with a total of 54 carp and 1 shad. K and I's shooting was pretty dismal so that didn't help at all.

Summary:
-The big numbers of carp were closer to the discharge during the day. (on the other hand, the water was really clear over on the other end)
-The carp are not spawned out over on the power plant end. We got several females still full of eggs.
-The carp on the power plant end are twice as big as the ones over by the hot water discharge.
-Deb can dive/fall off a boat in slow motion.
-Shooting a bow with a d-loop on the string will make your fingers really, really sore.
-Snuffy kicked our butts.

irydhard 05-16-2010 11:25 AM

we hit the west side at 9pm till 11 no fish went to the hot water between the dewitt bridge and 48 bridge anf found a ton of fish stayed till 3am and did more missing than hitting but still got 47 in the boat prolly had 25 to 30 pull offs that water was SOOOO RUFF when i went to bed it felt like my bed was moving lol i may hit it again tonight :barmy:

HNI_Christine 05-16-2010 11:48 AM

Glad you found 'em! We were getting into them when we passed the hot water discharge.. but that's right about the time Deb went in the drink. Instead of going back down there after she put on dry clothes we went toward the 48 bridge. The fantoon will not fit under the bridge so we ran the shoreline back. There are entirely too many trees hanging over the water (at fan height) so that trying to work the shoreline in the wind was more work than fun.

We'll be back out there when the wind lays down. :)

7danny 05-16-2010 01:13 PM

Man, I got to get back out