Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
Does anyone know about trailer brakes >

Does anyone know about trailer brakes

Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Does anyone know about trailer brakes

Old 03-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Spike

Default Does anyone know about trailer brakes

My boat trailer has brakes that lock up nearly everytime I back up. After jacking with them and jammin the truck back n forth a few times they release and work properly. I am at my witts end. Can I just disable these things? I dont think they help me stop, never felt any help instopping, but this reverse thing is about to drive me crazy. Especially when you get to the ramp, with others there, and you try to back down the ramp but cant cause the brakes locked. HELP PLEASE
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer dude...on your tongue of the trailer is a spring loaded dealy you need to put a penny in it or have some one hold it while you back up..this spring loaded brake is for if you slam on your brakes, the trailers brakes are activated to help keep from jack knifing. sometimes there is a switch to hold it, but usually i put a penny in it and as soon as you start backing it stays that way til ya stop or go forward.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

p s

especially goin up hill
Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think you could dis connect the electric cord from the vehicle to the trailer. I always do any how even tho i have water proof lights. Then plug it back in when you are ready to hit the road.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Johnny b
I would think you could dis connect the electric cord from the vehicle to the trailer. I always do any how even tho i have water proof lights. Then plug it back in when you are ready to hit the road.

no, this is a spring loaded devise attached to the tongue of the trailer, no electric needed.....there will be a piece of steel that will likely move back a lil to lock it.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about your problem when backing up. A friend of mines would lock up going forward. He found out a small piston that activates them had gotten rusty and was sticking every once in a while. But I think his worked off of tounge pressure and not electric. You still may have something sticking that got wet or condensation over the winter.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Spike

Bad ground, got it fixed
Old 03-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

If you can't fix it with a hammer... you have yourself an electrical problem.

Glad to hear you got it figured out.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Trailers with surge brakes have a fifth wire which needs to be wired to your backup lights. So when your tow rig is put in reverse, an electric selenoid actuates releasing the hydraulic pressure in the system, allowing you to back up. Or you can stick a penny in the slot on the tongue.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

I used to have a 'fuse' that consisted mostly of a wad of aluminum foil. (my old IH.. had weird sized fuses)

I'd be in the 'penny' crowd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.