HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Mid March report (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/319908-mid-march-report.html)

HNI_Christine 03-19-2010 08:43 AM

Mid March report

Please give us all a report if you head out this weekend. (where, water conditions, any fish.. etc)

The southern IL fellers are getting fish in flooded ditches and backwaters. I haven't heard any lake reports. (carp/buff/dogfish)

The nort-eastern Illinoiz boyz have been finding fish in the backwaters of DCA area already. (carp mostly)

Jarad has been getting carp on Clinton Lake in the daytime. (no lights on his boat yet) He said the fish are still fairly scarce but the water clarity is up to 2' deep in some places. He was bowfishing near the West Launch.

We're going to try to go out and look at the Mackinaw River and some IL River backwater this weekend. (even tho' we should focus on putting the fan-toon together.) I'll let you know what we find.

Anybody else??? ;)

scribe917k 03-19-2010 09:24 AM

I would be out bowfishing right now but im getting paid to paint my gf's parents house. Gotta make that money. Will hit it hard next week if the weather is nice.

robow7 03-19-2010 10:04 AM

Just spoke to one of my old patients today who is now 84 years old and he's been commercial fishing the Wabash River for 60 years. He told me he's just now starting to get the big run on the Buffs in the flooded backwaters. One female was loaded with eggs and he feels it could be no more than a couple weeks before they spawn so it's getting closer. And after 60+ years on the same river, he knows what he's talking about. BTW, don't ever let him fry up some of those huge flatheads with his special Cajun batter unless he's willing to dilute it a little for you, can you say fire breath :)

HNI_Christine 03-19-2010 12:08 PM

I could go for some buffalo ribs. :)

You get your boat out of storage yet Robster?

karter 03-19-2010 02:30 PM

Did not take a boat out, but went looking around St Louis area, IL/MISS river, water rising, currently flooding, did not see a single fish???????? Went to some backwaters, and some areas right on the river, nada...

Johnny b 03-20-2010 04:12 AM

Went to Clinton lake yesterday. Was way windy but was able to duck out into the coves and find fish. It was better than i thought. Did not see any buff's at all. Did loose a arrow and one point, was able to dig one arrow out of a log that i was sure was a fish. should be getting better by the day.

seanf 03-20-2010 11:16 AM

New to site. Found it by attending elmwood outdoor show! I checked some of my usual flooded levees near Peoria on fri.. Some nice clear water but no fish.

carpsniper 03-20-2010 11:27 AM

Welcome Sean! :cool2:

We were going to try some of the backwaters near Banner yesterday...just didn't make it. Sounds like we saved some gas.

seanf 03-20-2010 02:53 PM

Probably need a week or so in the sixties and I bet they show up. I live close to banner and will check again after a few warm days. I have bowfished a little for about ten years and last year hit it hard in the spring. Can't wait to get out but still have a lot to learn on the Il. river and its backwaters.

jerry nicholson 03-20-2010 04:26 PM

I will be able to give you the late March turkey report.I leave for NE. and KS. the 27th.I will take aim at the fishes after that.