Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
Pontoon boat tear down and rebuild >

Pontoon boat tear down and rebuild

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Pontoon boat tear down and rebuild

Old 04-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool !
I'm happy to hear about your success, and the laughs along the way.

Question time:
When you have a fan boat, do you still use a genny for lights? or does the fan motor give you an alternator for that power output ?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

I want one! I'll have to pick your brain when I'm ready to build one.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HNI_Christine
This silver was splashing around with another silver like they were getting ready to spawn. ??
I don't think they actually spawn in anyplace you can shoot the fish, but the males will start getting randy about the time the water gets to about 60 degrees. The males will stick their pectoral fins under the females and rub them on their belly in one particular spot up close to the head. The females probably hate this when they are not particularly ready to spawn, because they get a real sore spot there. (Really - I'm not making this up, even though it does sound like a letter to a girly magazine.)

When you shoot a fish and see that red spot on the belly, you know it is a female, and that the males are getting randy.

The boat looks great. How loud is it? Can you talk over it without yelling?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The females probably hate this when they are not particularly ready to spawn, because they get a real sore spot there. (Really - I'm not making this up, even though it does sound like a letter to a girly magazine.)
Hmmm. Sounds familiar.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Had a little pontoon work done myself this last week. Had some drains put in the pontoons. There shouldn't be any water get in there, but there was. Had a couple little cracks in the top, around the ribs, that we got fixed. Probably drained 50 gallons, total, out of the toons. That ought to get us a quite little closer to the grassies when they get into the skinny water on the edge. I'm working this arm like crazy every day, trying to get it strong enough to pull a bow again. Hard to grow nerves back though. I do think it is getting better. I could probably shoot a few times now, with the lighter bow, before my arm gives out on me. My son can shoot them anyway, and I can drive.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by David Hughes
I want one! I'll have to pick your brain when I'm ready to build one.
Wow! That's some slim pickin' right there. Call Don at Arrow prop. He's the expert. I'll tell you what I did that did or didn't work. LOL

Duane, when it's idling (which is most of the time) It's like the average generator, loud but not terrible. When you open it up... Forget it! Reference a prop plane preparing for take off... Really!

Glad to hear your arm's improving. Keep at it!!!

Last edited by carpsniper; 04-13-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahem....

Question time:
When you have a fan boat, do you still use a genny for lights? or does the fan motor give you an alternator for that power output ?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry. Yes, still need a genny. Even the airboats with big block motors still use generators for the lights. I guess you run 12 volt lights off of a full size airboat motor but I wouldn't have the slightest clue if you could run 'regular' lights off of one. ('specially without robbing some power from the prop)

You're the electrician.. you would know better than us.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bulzeye

Ahem....
Sorry! Like C said... You still need a generator. The fan will mostly be running at an idle. While it does have an alternator, it won't produce the kind of juice needed to power all the lights. (especially at low speed)
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oops! Wrong login.