Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Tips for Asians

Old 03-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Spike

Default Tips for Asians

I'm from central wisconsin and looking at planning a long weekend or two to go after your asian carp. I've got a few questions I'm hoping some one can help with. I'll probably be coming down or meeting up with Fred from F&D but I'd like to know a little more just for myself.

1. I've got a tiller motor on the boat, what are my options for getting the fish to jump, everything I'm reading says to find the right rpm on the motor. Is there any other ways of getting them to fly with out having a man at the motor? Is the noise of a genny enough?

2. What is the more productive time of the year to try?

3. What do I need for license?

4. What are you guys doing for fish disposal? Are there dumpsters at launches?

Thanks for the help, and by all means please offer any other suggestions you have.

Mike

Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't been out with a genny running yet, but I can tell you they were jumping from our trolling motor last year. It doesn't take much.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

There are NO dumpsters available anywhere. Please make arrangements beforehand as this can be a real black eye for the bowfishing community if the fish are just dumped near any public access. Thanks and good luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike & Harvy, As far as license goes you can get on line Ill DNR and pick up a non resident license. I'm pretty sure that they have several different versions from a $10 a day license to 7 day licenses. The best buy might just be to buy a full season out of state, I think it is $35.
Usually the asian's get more active once the water gets into the 60's. At least the big heads seem too. Try and pick a nice day. I went on a cloudy misty day and we did not do well at all. You might want to keep watching this site as once it heats up the guys will be posting more as to what is going on. Good luck,
Old 03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mike and Harvey View Post
3. What do I need for license?
Just a sport fishing license. (In your case a non resident sport fishing license)

If you are a friend of Fred's, you already know this, But...I gotta say it for those who do not.
Please! PLEASE! PLEASE!!! do not put fish in dumpsters, (unless you are completely positive they are for fish disposal.) OR on the bank, OR on the ramp, OR anywhere they would be a nuisance to others. Thank you.

If you know where you might be (Peoria, Henry, LaSalle), maybe someone on here could help with a place for disposal.

Thanks for the help, and by all means please offer any other suggestions you have.

Mike
Suggestion #1 Kill 'em all!

We wish you luck!