Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
Big Head shoot @ Granite City >

Big Head shoot @ Granite City

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Big Head shoot @ Granite City

Old 02-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Typical Buck

There is really no paking at nameoki like Karter said, but there are Bigheads in horseshoe lake remember that is where the guy caught the state record bighead on pole and line and I have shot several nice ones out of there in the past 2 years, There is alot of parking in alton or grafton.. Sounds like it could be a fun shoot if all the bugs get worked out!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HunterOpel
There is really no paking at nameoki like Karter said, but there are Bigheads in horseshoe lake remember that is where the guy caught the state record bighead on pole and line and I have shot several nice ones out of there in the past 2 years, There is alot of parking in alton or grafton.. Sounds like it could be a fun shoot if all the bugs get worked out!!!
I thought there were bigheads in there but I have not lived in Collinsville for many years... Thanks for the clarification Darin...
Old 02-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Spike

OK, if you want all the "skinny", here it is, Opel is correct to a point. I live about a minute from Horseshoe, and shoot it probably 50 times a year(its real close to home). I have never ever seen even one bighead, or shot one, or seen one caught in any way. But opel has shot one or two, and I believe him. The game biologist has said while shocking, he has shocked a couple, but they are more than rare, as in his words...they appear to have come from the great flood, and he has never shocked a single juvenile, as they appear unable to reproduce in the lake for whatever reason, he does not know. So, the population may be 3 or 5 ???? he does not know, but as I said, from hundreds of trips, never seen even one. Ok, if you want more info, i would get info from possible shooters, if many are from MO, I would put in on the MO side of the Alton bridge, brand new ramp, large parking for lots of rigs, and only a MO license necessary. If you go to Grafton in the summer, it is a PIA, with all the sightseers, antique hunters and such. If you go to Marquette park, make damn sure all have ILL out of state license(which have all went up thank our ex gov), as the Conservation POPO office is there, and he will walk over, and bs with you, he always does with us, he will also give boat a quick look, so be prepared, he is a good guy though. If you need the harbor masters name and PH# at Alton marina, I have it, and have name of security also (know them). But I would not put in there, very close to lock and dam, any boat problems, and you WILL BE fish food. As I said, on MO side of Alton, actually 2 ramps, if water is up enuf, the rear one will be shallow, but usable, and BIGHEADS RIGHT THERE !!! BIG ONES...have fun. Rear one is back by the duck blinds. very shallow...watch the lower units. Any farther north, Opel is the man to talk to...
Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Spike

Thanks Karter thats good info