Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Carlyle Dam 7/20

Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Spike

Did you guys ever troll back in the old riverbed?
Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

JohnnyB, it's CIRFCU. Central Illinois Rough Fish Control Unit

BTW, there were only two of us, and I was trying to film Kendall shoot a fish for a good portion of the time and then using a slingshot to get a bighead. ...and we shot 24 bigheads and 1 silver. So there. heh heh heh.

----

To all thinking about shooting the spillway:

1) Try to go there on a weekday if at possible. It's wall to wall people on Saturday and Sunday.

2) Like JohnnyB said, be considerate of the other fishermen, give them plenty of space. If you're not taking your fish, try giving them away. If you still have some left, dispose of them properly. (this means don't toss them on shore or put them in the dumpsters) The DNR and C.O.E. has recommended slitting open and sinking the bigheads. Do this down stream of the ramp.

3) Watch out for paddlefish. I saw several swimming around right below the spillway.

4) Count the number of bigheads you get and tell us. The Army Corps is interested in knowing how many we are taking.

tmichael, we went back there on Sunday afternoon. We saw oodles of gar. (Some big, but mostly dinky ones.) A few grassies, a couple of buffalo and some common carp. We did shoot a silver carp and a bighead back there. The water was kind of on the murky side in there.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Christine, where are the pictures? I know Robow is wanting to see proof.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Spike

did you ever get a big head with a slingshot?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Kendall shot one in the head with the slingshot but the bighead pulled off.

We need to put the heavier weight bands that came with the slingshot on. The heavier ones have about a 40# pull.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Spike

always try to be respectful,,is there any other way??,,and as far as fish disposal,,we got that covered too,,what we don't end up eating goes to a compost pile for my garden,,hopefully we can get to running into a few fellow shooters when we go up there,,
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by drifter_3057
always try to be respectful,,is there any other way??,,and as far as fish disposal,,we got that covered too,,what we don't end up eating goes to a compost pile for my garden,,hopefully we can get to running into a few fellow shooters when we go up there,,

let me know when you go i might just show up out there haha...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drifter_3057
always try to be respectful,,is there any other way?
Well for some there is...
We had some guys wingin' rocks or something at us one night. I guess they didn't think about what we could'vee sent back. They were obviously drunk, but if they would have hit C with whatever they were wingin', things would have gotten ugly quick.

Oops Carpsniper on C's login.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

IM sure it would have turned rather interesting quickly huh mostly the folks are real nice love to see us doing out thing out there....
Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HNI_Christine
Well for some there is...
We had some guys wingin' rocks or something at us one night. I guess they didn't think about what we could'vee sent back. They were obviously drunk, but if they would have hit C with whatever they were wingin', things would have gotten ugly quick.

Oops Carpsniper on C's login.

Yeah, C's avatar is pretty accurate. I don't think I'd go chunking rocks at her. Carpsniper - is that bowfin on your bowcountry avatar a recent fish? It's a whopper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.