Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Ohio Extravaganzia update

Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ohio Extravaganzia update

Well so far the Ohio outing is not going that well. Talked to Kendall yeasterday and they shot 3 gar, and shot at a few very small grass carp and seen one big head on the Ohio river this was Saturday. Then they loaded up and headed down to Ky Dam for A night shoot there for big heads. Ended up seeing more boats than Big heads. Loaded up and went back up to Grand chain to sleep. My cousin From St. Louis called me this morning around 8am, he had just got to Carlyle dam and said the big heads were everywhere. I called him around 9 and he had already shot 10 and that was by him self. I called Rob and told him and sounds like they might head up there on the way home. Guess where I'M going yesterday, Tommy Mac and the big head king, KBI Prez in toe. weather say's sunny in the 80's. Sounds like the Big heads are going to be in for a rough day....
Old 07-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

It was really nice down there, but the fishing in those parts seemed to be universally bad. Too cold or something. We didn't put a ton of effort into the bowfishing because we were pretty darn laid back.

We shot 11 gar, 2 shad, 1 silver carp, 3 grassies and a paddlefish.

Now we're headed to Carlyle.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

My cousin Marty from St. Louis. finally ended up with 22 big heads in the boat. The largest is estimated to be between 45 and 50 pounds. It bottomed out his scale. Several guys who took his picture with the fish all agreed at to this weight. Said there was another boat with 3 guys who shot 12 big heads. Marty, said that they were in a 12 foot john, with the 3 men and all the fish it was riding pretty low...We'll be heading down there tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

I can't wait to see the pictures!

We stopped there for a couple hours in the late afternoon. We didn't see that many bigheads but we did see 453 billion gar. We only got a couple bigheads, biggest was 24 and a half lbs.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

that's a lot of gar
Old 07-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

No exaggeration on the gar, there are that many.