HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   silvers. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/295317-silvers.html)

suckersticker 06-03-2009 07:25 PM

silvers.

okay i want to shoot some silvers out of the air. I was just wondering if you have to be using a certain size out board motor. and is there any certain techniques to getting them to jump?

HNI_Christine 06-03-2009 08:40 PM

RE: silvers.

When they're jumpy, just about anything will get them in the air. You just have to find the schools of them.

From our observations.... a 2 stroke motor works better thana four stroke. Aluminum hulls work better than 'glass or plastic hulls. Still we were able to get them to jump with a four stroke motor on our plastic pontooned boat.

We would zigzag along the shore line until we'd see some silver jumping. If they're jumping way behind the boat, slow down. If they're just leaving wakes in front of the boat, speed up. We tried to get them jumping beside the boat.

We could really get them going if we flanked a barge heading up the river. (they'd swim away from the barge and then jump when they got near our boat)

There are a lot of chunks of cement and logs to watch out for. Bring a spare prop. [:o]

Johnny b 06-04-2009 05:23 AM

My cousin who lived down by St. Louis was watching a helicopter flying down the Mississippi one day. The silvers were jumping like crazey back behind it. So if you have a chopper handy you are all set. Do not have to have extra props or anything. Have fun.

scribe917k 06-04-2009 09:52 AM

There are a few places along the illinois river you would be abe to bat them out of the air. I almost got nocked into the river a few times. Need to have 1 person with a bat or gaff to ward off the kamakazi silvers.

Mark S 06-05-2009 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Johnny b

So if you have a chopper handy you are all set.
Oh crap, you telling me I have to build a helicopter now? Hey Christine, you got any junk helicopter parts laying in the driveway?

fishpoint 06-06-2009 07:34 PM

Oh crap, you telling me I have to build a helicopter now? Hey Christine, you got any junk helicopter parts laying in the driveway?
[/quote]

I look forward to seeing you build a plywood helicopter.

Bulzeye 06-07-2009 04:58 PM

LOOK!
Up in the sky !
It's.....ROTOWOODY !!

bowman15 06-08-2009 04:31 AM

ORIGINAL: fishpoint

I look forward to seeing you build a plywood helicopter.
[/quote]

Don't tempt him. You have no idea what he's thinking about now.

carptracker 06-10-2009 03:39 PM

Or you could build a train. I see the silvers jumping when the train goes by on the Osage River.

Bulzeye 06-10-2009 09:41 PM

Or you could build a train.
The Little Woody that could ?