HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Got my Big Woody wet! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/292757-got-my-big-woody-wet.html)

Mark S 04-25-2009 06:40 PM

Got my Big Woody wet!

She floats! Actually floats very well. Sitting empty the flat of the hull on the front is just barely out of the water and the back is downbetween 4 and5inches. When 2 of us are standing on the front it sits pretty much level at 3 to 4 inches. We floated over everything and got hung upon the bottom only once. If we had stepped out our ankles wouldn't have gotten wet. We did hang up on a couple of branches also. At one point I couldn't even get half the body of the troller in the water before the prop was dragging bottom, and the boat was drifting free with both of us standing at the very front. It barely dips in the water when both of us stood on one side.

I quickly found out the outboard was mounted way too high. Cavitates like mad and I can't even think about giving it some trim. I also havea problem with the timing advance I haven't fixed so I'd guess I'm about6 degrees retarded from where I should be at full throttle. That's not helping power at all! When I did get the prop to hook I hit 51mph on the gps. It launches hard and fast.When I get the motor dropped I'm sure I can easly run 55 and I would guess over 60 is not outof the question when everything else is right.

I wish the boat was in the middle of the picture on this one. This is about where I glanced down at the gps and saw it bouncing between 49 and 50. This is how it should look when up and running!

Mark S 04-25-2009 06:42 PM

RE: Got my Big Woody wet!

Thanks Steve for the pictures by the way!

carpsniper 04-26-2009 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Mark S

She floats! Actually floats very well.
I never doubted you. Way to go!

...and I can't even think about giving it some trim.
Big woody, no trim, a dangerous combination. watch yerself Steve.

...so I'd guess I'm about6 degrees retarded...
We all suspected it. :Djust kidding, just kidding. You really made one heck of a boat there. When you get the kinks worked out with the outboard and a pusher fan on her, it will be even more awesome.

I was looking at the second picture that really shows the huge amount of deck space between the helm and the platform. Did you say you've got storage under there? It looks like you could put a dozen barrels on that deck.

Mark S 04-26-2009 07:58 AM

It could all be storage. I've only got a little bit of it used now. I'm looking for one big barrel.

carpsniper 04-26-2009 01:19 PM

Maybe just a 6' stock tank???

I think several smaller barrels are easier to move. I used to have one of those oval poly110 gallon Stock tanks. It was great for holding fish, but a B**ch to move when full.

slim23 04-26-2009 01:58 PM

congrats man!! awesome rig.

David Hughes 04-26-2009 02:57 PM

That thing will be unstoppable with a pusher fan on it. Imagine running in just a few inches of water un obstructed! How do you think it will handle all the abuse that bowfishing doles out?

Bulzeye 04-28-2009 05:49 AM

FANTASTIC !!!!

That is one nice rig.
I figured it would float, but you really did a great job somehow figuring out the balance for drafting level for shooting. That combined with a featurless bottom for minimal hangups on the bottom that magically avoids going into a flat spin when you get it up to speed. My jaw dropped when I saw it doing 50ish and staying stable.

GREAT JOB !!!