HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   first night out (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/290369-first-night-out.html)

suckersticker 03-27-2009 08:27 PM

first night out

Well i made my first night trip of the year last night. And man was it a dandy. I took my buddy aaron out which was his first time bowfishing and it was well worth it. We started the night off with generator trouble, then light trouble, but after that it was awesome. We shot a bunch of commons and ran into a monsterous gar but we both missed. Then we did something i never thought would happen. As we moved along down the bank we came upon some large fish i assumed were grass carp. But upon shooting one we found out that they were bigheads.(miss identification due to poor water clarity)They didn't spook like usual, they stayed in the lights and gave us some easy shots. It was weird. Even with the generator on full blast, they didn't spook. I will post a few pictures later.

Chasebaker 03-27-2009 09:17 PM

RE: first night out

awesome.. nows lets see them pics

Johnny b 03-28-2009 04:46 AM

Enquiring minds want to know. WHERE WERE YOU FISHING? Congradualtions nothing like wacking some big heads.

suckersticker 03-28-2009 05:34 AM

We were shooting over at big basin on the des plaines river. The same place i usually shoot. It is about 1 mile down stream of where i shot them off of the bank last year. It was a really big suprise. My pictures will be up shortly. My computer is being difficult.

fishpoint 03-28-2009 05:39 PM

Way to go William!

Judd

HNI_Christine 03-28-2009 06:42 PM

Sweet! Great way to start your bowfishing season.

KBI-PREZ 03-29-2009 09:08 AM

Bigheads....just the mention of it gives me cold sweats....i am so ready to jump on em i cant wait....:D

Bulzeye 03-30-2009 07:10 PM

Wow.
Bigheads haven't been taken this far north this early in the year before.
The last 2 springs didn't bring bigheads to that area until the first week of June. Oh Duaaaaaaaaaaane...

Talked to Bill tonight. He was on the DesPlaines just downstream of where it crosses hwy 55.

Funny how they didn't spook. Must be 'city bigheads'.

suckersticker 04-01-2009 06:41 PM

Ok i finally got the photos to work. Here ya go.

Mark S 04-01-2009 06:54 PM

Awesome! We need to follow you around one night. Are there a couple of bigmouth buffs in that pile also? Looks like thefemales are stuffed with eggs.

suckersticker 04-01-2009 07:10 PM

There sure are. Yea they were all filled up with something. But they were all shot ate the far east end, we were shooting where the lilly pads usually are. They were tucked way up in that mud back there. We are gonna hit it again friday and maybe saturday depending on the rain and water clairity.