Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Progress

Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Progress

just for fun, look here, I'm not to certain that piston damage is from the water pump. Looks like the carb was plugged, but I'm only seeinf one piston.
http://www.smellofdeath.com/lloydy/piston_diag_guide.htm

This is a good site if you get stuck
http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
see the vidios bottom right

and for parts breakdown if you need it
http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm
by year or serial #

keep up the good work
Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mark S

I did also find out that oversized pistons (you can go up to .030 on this motor) are all the same weight, so you can bore only one cylinder and it will still be balanced.
Ah! so that's how they do it. Tricky those darned mechanic types.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

#4 was the one burnt up, and #3 which shares the same carb was just fine, so I'm not too sure it was a fuel problem just yet. If it really was the water pump, #1 should have gone first. But I can't rule out the middle cylinders since they naturally run hotter. I'm willing to bet it was a timing problem. First guess would be the low idle timing advance went out, which can throw off timing at higher rpm's. I'll be disconnecting that piece of junk. I noticed before I started taking everything apart, all the return springs were pretty stiff on the carb and timing linkage. It's going to take some time to get everything loosened up again. I'd hate to have the throttle stick running wide open in the dark!

Steve was here for 2 days and with my uncle's help today we got the whole top side glassed. I'm hoping tomorrow I can put one more thick coat of epoxy on and then she's ready for sanding and paint.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Better you than me. I'm having a hard enough time adding some wiring for a horn and putting the converters on in a "safe" place. I got the breaker installed yesterday. But that was about it.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

You know, if you get that motor running again, I'll be most impressed. Even slightly more impressed than when Steve took that brokenup pile of aluminum and turned it back into a boat. Slightly more impressed than whenGrider actuallysstarted winning money at the shoots andmore impressed than whendeer predator actually started hitting fish. (all of these arevery impressive)

I guess I shouldn't doubt a farmer/carpenter/Army Ranger tho'.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I guess she's feeling better if she's startin' to give Ken crap again.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Still too sick to go bowfishing.

I'd have to be about dead to not give Ken grief.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

For how bad the piston looks, the cylinder is in great shape.I've honed a few cylinders back when andI was suprised.

I can't wait for you guys to see this thing. I'm on another computer right now, otherwise I'd load up a picture or two. It looks like an aircraft carrier without the console. I measured it and it's 18' 8" long and 77 1/2" wide. With that 115 on it,when the water's like glass like it gets at night,we'll hit 60. There won't be no turning it, but it'll be fun on the straight-a-ways. And with the platform that's going on it it'll give the front end some lift. I bet we don't have much more than the lower unit in the water!
Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

Still too sick to go bowfishing.

I'd have to be about dead to not give Ken grief.
Why Why Why Why Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why
Why

What did I do?????????You always have a way of making me sad.....

Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Christine:
"Slightly more impressed than whenGrider actuallysstarted winning money"

Hey, I resemble that remark.

And what's withs the actuallys? You've been downstate too long, in fact I bet you're now telling K, "Hey K, I'm goin' in to town and git myself toKmarts"

Quick Reply: Progress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.