HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   questions, questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/287163-questions-questions.html)

suckersticker 02-21-2009 08:59 AM

questions, questions

Ok i got my tax returns back and i am buying a bow. I have narrowed it down to two. Either a Martin rebel or a PSE Coyote. Which do you think would work the best. And i am also working on my boat. I will post pictures along the way.

Mark S 02-21-2009 11:30 AM

RE: questions, questions

What have you been using for a bow?

carpsniper 02-21-2009 06:13 PM

Bill, I've had great luck with all the Martin bows I've owned. I think the rebel would fit you well. You might want to look at the Martin X-150 while you're at it. They are a bit cheaper than the rebel. (at least, I think they were)
I've had two X-200's and they were both awesome shooters.

Good luck.

suckersticker 02-21-2009 10:00 PM

The bow i currently have is a compound. I want to get a recurve. But does the martin x-150 have a stabilizer hole?

bowman15 02-22-2009 04:57 AM

Bill, I'd get the Coyote. I've been shooting the same one for years and I have no complaints at all. All the holes are in the riser and you can get different limbs for it in the future if you want. I have had the same 55-pound limbs on mine since day-one with no problems. It's shot a few thousand arrows over the years (I've had it for 12 or 13 years now). It's a great bow. Martin makes great bows too, but for bowfishing I have to go with the Coyote. Besides, those Martins are beautiful. It still kills me to see Kendall bowfishing with the one he has.

Do like most of us do, and buy one of each! That'll solve the decision-problem. You can't have too many you know.

Mark S 02-22-2009 06:59 AM

Wow, switching from compound to recurve! I shoot both myself. But I always pick up the compound first. It's amazing how much lighter my recurve is after shooting the compound for a while. I picked up a cheap 45lb. Shakespeare off ebay. Love it. Can you hold both bows to see which one you like for fitting your hand? Bowman like's the Coyote, but he missed a lot of fish last year. :D Just something to think about.

bowman15 02-22-2009 12:26 PM

I only missed so many because I put a putty-rest and No-Gloves on. I did finebefore did that. I'll be switching back this summer. Ask Christine about the first time I went shooting with her and what's-his-name. I did fine.

But if I could change one thing, it might be to have lighter limbs. I think you can get 40, 45, 50 and 55 pound limbs for that bow.

And for the record, Mark shot better with my $35 garage-sale compound than he did with his $500.00 Oneida. Just so you know.

Bowfisher5 02-22-2009 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: suckersticker

Ok i got my tax returns back and i am buying a bow. I have narrowed it down to two. Either a Martin rebel or a PSE Coyote. Which do you think would work the best.
And i am also working on my boat. I will post pictures along the way.
Bill
The Terry Quinn Stingray will work best is cheaper

http://www.quinnsarchery.com/quinn's_archery_011.htm

A lot of guys don't know about the TQ Bows and maybe this is the case for you.

Let me say that the PSE Coyote is a good bow. I currently have 4 of them, 2 in 45#, 50# and a 55#. I shot one for several years. I would not recommend the cheaper PSE Knigfisher which I also have in 45#. It just doesn't feel right and is heavier than the Coyote. I don't have a Martin Rebel but do a have a more expensive Martin Mamba likeCaprsniper uses, but IMO it is too niceto use bowfishing. My favortie bow is my Terry Quinn (TQ) Stingray. It is a bowfishing bow that shoots great. It has wider limb tipsat the top than the Coyote. It has a great price and you can use the money you save to buy bowfishing arrows. Club member Larry M has one too and luv's it. You can even shoot deer with it.

I will have it up at the Deer Classic so you can get a look, feel, and even shoot itif you like.

Bowfisher