HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   I need grass carp samples! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/267457-i-need-grass-carp-samples.html)

carptracker 10-10-2008 04:06 PM

I need grass carp samples!

We are rounding up grass carp samples from various locations around the USA. There are several goals, but all relate to understanding the biology and ecology of grass carp in the USA. I have all I need from the Missouri River, and probably will get all I need from the middle Mississippi River and the Illinois River. I'm looking for up to 30 fish from a site. I would like to get fish from as many as possible of the following locations: the Red River drainage, from the Lower Mississippi, the Atchafalaya, the Tennessee, Cumberland, and Ohio, and from any reservoir that has no navigation through that contains a reproducing population or possibly contains a reproducing population.

I have fisheries workers all over the US on the lookout for me, but many of them don't catch many grass carp or just don't remember or have time when the time comes. Please PM me if you can help. NO cost to you - I pay all shipping and provide everything you need except the grass carp. I know it is the end of the season in most places, but I will likely continue to be collecting samples through the next summer. Are there any tournaments coming up that might have a lot of grass carp shot?[/align]

David Hughes 10-10-2008 05:00 PM

RE: I need grass carp samples!

I usually shoot one everytime I go out. I have seen at least 3-4 the last time I went. I'm in Northern Texas, usually shooting on Lake Ray Roberts. Still interested?

carptracker 10-10-2008 09:55 PM

Very interested. What river system is Lake Roberts on?

David Hughes 10-11-2008 12:06 PM

Not sure. It may be part of the trinity river system. You can see that Indian creek feeds it on Mapquest. Search for Pilot Point, TX on Mapquest and you will se the lake.

carptracker 10-11-2008 07:51 PM

Are there abundant grass carp there? Could you get a bunch of them over the next few months? Like a minimum of a dozen, 20 to 30 better.

ORIGINAL: David Hughes

Not sure. It may be part of the trinity river system. You can see that Indian creek feeds it on Mapquest. Search for Pilot Point, TX on Mapquest and you will se the lake.

David Hughes 10-14-2008 05:37 PM

If it were spring I would say yes. I'm changing from the bowfishing mode to pig and deer hunting. It is probably a lake with more quality than quanity. I have yet to see one under 20lbs. In a 3 hour period I usually get a shot at 3-4 grassies between 20 and 40 lbs. Have seen some 50+ guys just haven't connected yet. Don't the Grass carp shut down after the water gets below 47 degrees? That would reduce my ability to kill any from December through February. Do you want me to keep what I get in the freezer? I have to double check the laws down here but I think it is illegal to transport Grass Carp with the guts in them. Do you need the guts? Let me know. You can send me a pm and I can give you my personal contact info.

Johnny b 10-14-2008 08:00 PM

Carptracker, would you be interested in any from the Wabash? Now that i have two deer down i can get back to bowfishing. Was told the water is pretty clear, and we usually see some nice grassies there.

carptracker 10-15-2008 03:19 PM

johnny: PM sent