Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

night versus day?

Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 AM

Default night versus day?

Wandering what I am doing wrong. Been fishing with good success during the day, but having trouble finding fish at night. Feel like I am just cruising around the river with a loud generator on and attracting bugs. Becoming quite frustrating!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: night versus day?

This time of year it is a real toss up. I went out on Friday during the day and did pretty good. Went out last night seen bout 7 carp and shot 2. They were just not up. Although the water was really muddy and we just could not see them. Just their ' puff's' when they too off. It does get better when it starts to cool down We also had a lot of steam on the water last night which made seeing hard.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Sometimes it's the body of water. I had to try 3 different lakes before I found one that produced fish at night. I like water that has at least a couple feet of visibility for night fishing. In muddy water I tend to see only mud clouds when the fish move. If you have access to other lakes or rivers, you might want to try them.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

depends on what type of fish as well. Bigheads and silvers spook at a moving light, but you can troll right up to them during the day.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

All good advice from these guys.

One thing I've noticed is that the rivers always seem to be better for me during the day. The lakes are usually better at night. I say usually because 2008 has been a tough year and many of my favorite spots have not produced at night.

Good luck 'slinger. I hope you get 'em figured out. (and then tell me...)