HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Helpful hints for the Billy Davis Tournament (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/241582-helpful-hints-billy-davis-tournament.html)

HNI_Christine 04-09-2008 01:42 PM

Helpful hints for the Billy Davis Tournament

Feel free to chime in.

#1 Bring an extra barrel. If you're having a good night, you'll need to bring your fish back to the ramp. If you have an extra barrel, you'll have a place to put them.

#2 If you've never been on Rend at night, you should have a GPS. (this goes for Lake Shelbyville too)

#3 Remember, Murphy loves bowfishing tourneys. If you've got a spare, you should probably bring it.

#4 Fish are in the flooded grass and timber. The harder it is to get to, the more likely the fish are in it.

BTW, we'll have burgers and hotdogs cooking before the shoot. If you can, bring pop and chips. :)

buffhntr 04-09-2008 01:56 PM

RE: Helpful hints for the Billy Davis Tournament

5. also get a phone number so you can call for help if something goes wrong.
6. Joe will point out where the fish are you should listen.
7. Have fun

Mark S 04-09-2008 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

#4 Fish are in the flooded grass and timber. The harder it is to get to, the more likely the fish are in it.

No, I believe you'll find most of the fish directly in front of buffhtr's boat. I'd say in front of slim's boat, but the fish are going to catch on when they start hearing that push poll in the water.

Look for shallow flats.

Bring warm clothes! Get's a little chilly running across the lake at 6 in the morning.

KBI-PREZ 04-10-2008 06:59 PM

Best hint of all.......Dont miss Slim and Alex's bunch dont miss many.....;)

slim23 04-12-2008 02:51 PM

we miss lots!! we just are where the fish are and see lots.
the lake is way up and beatin the timbered edges this year is gona be even less fruitful than in years past. look for flooded fields on the north end.Yes the north end is FULL of stumps!!!!!! you cant see many of them with it up this much but they are there!!Justkeep it real slow anywhere up north of the pointand you should be allright.The lake is muddyas heck. if you arent in fish make a drastic change in location. if you are not always looking at a fish, move, cause somebody will be. most of them will be in the weeds. dump fish on the bankin spare tubsand come back and get them after light in the morning. bring extra tubs just for this. you will be able to go shallower, use less battery pulling your boat. hate to give away all my secrets.....

robow7 04-12-2008 04:27 PM

Great idea Slim, you set ashore all those tubs you fill with fish in order to lighten the loadand then come back in the AM to pick them up before weigh in.
I'm sure they will be right where you left them from the evening before. Holy mama, I might win this tourney without even shooting a fish.

carpsniper 04-12-2008 10:27 PM

Careful Rob, we'll be checkin' serial numbers on those carp! :D

Mark S 04-12-2008 10:27 PM

Haha, everyone's game plan just changed drastically.

buffhntr 04-14-2008 07:35 AM

hand warmers, hot coffee, winter coats

Bulzeye 04-14-2008 03:28 PM

Hint # 497

Don't use a boat that looks like this... (Sorry Steve)