Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 August 11th Wonder Lake Shoot >

August 11th Wonder Lake Shoot

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

August 11th Wonder Lake Shoot

Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default August 11th Wonder Lake Shoot

[align=center]"2007 Wonder Lake Sportsman’s Club Carp Shoots"[/align]
[align=center]
[/align][align=center]BowFishers!!! Join Us For Our Carp Shoots [/align]
[align=center]Spring Shoot is Saturday June 2nd from 6am Until 12:00pm.[/align]
[align=center]Fall Shoot is Saturday August 11th from 6am Until 12:00pm.[/align]

[align=center]These are BAA Sanctioned Events & Fish Disposal is Provided.[/align]

Registration
: Begins at 4:30am the day of the shoot and will run until 8:00am.

:South Beach of Wonder Lake, IL: These events will not take place this year @ Center Beach where we have held it in years past. We will be at a similar venue 2/3 Mile South of Center Beach on East Lakeshore Dr. Beach is Located between Pheasant Rd and Beach Rd which is easiest to access by turning onto them from East Wonder Lake Road. There is plenty of parking and the launch is much easier to use in comparison to the one at Center Beach. We will have Navigation signs posted at the Corners of the Main Intersections to assist you!

MapQuest.com for Directions
- Intersection of Beach Road & E. Lakeshore Dr, Wonder Lake, IL 60097
[align=center]We will run 4 Competition Brackets for this event![/align]
[align=center]Kids 15 & Under – Registration is Free[/align]
[align=center]Individual Bracket – Registration Fee is $20[/align]
[align=center]2 Man Teams – Registration Fee is $40 per Team[/align]

[align=center]3 Man Teams – Registration Fee is $60 per Team[/align]

* Boats are Required for Non-Wonder Lake Residents as there is no Shore Access available – Guest Pass for Lake provided at time of Registration

* Compete for 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place BAA Certificates and a Cash Prize (for first place only) for the MOST Fish Brought In. Kids 15 & under will compete for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Place Trophies for the MOST fish Brought In.

* Optional Buy-in Competition for Big Fish, $5 Entry Fee for Individual Bracket, $10 Entry Fee for 2 Man Teams and $15 Entry Fee for 3 Man Teams. BAA Certificates & Cash Prize for 1st Place Only.

Hot Dogs, Corn, Soda & Water will be available throughout the event. We’ll continue to cook afterwards so we all can enjoy good food and good company. Come on out and experience a great time with us!!!!!

The Awards Ceremony for All Four Brackets will Begin at 12:30 at the South Beach Pavilion.

Throughout the Derby there will be available for Purchase Raffle Tickets for Door Prizes and a 50/50. The Raffles will be held after the Awards Ceremony. All proceeds from this event go towards the conservation of Wonder Lake.

If Additional Information is Needed, Call Duane @ 815-482-3735 or Roger @ 815-236-7912

Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: August 11th Wonder Lake Shoot

You can count me in. I have the day marked and will be there.

William
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

I looked the lake up on the internet. Looks like it is only about 850 acres. I have my canoe rigged with outriggers and a trolling motor. Do you think I could enter the shoot with it? Is this a real clean lake? I noticed that the shoot is only in the morning. Are we talking a ton of carp that can be shot in the daylight? Please give me as much info as you can, I would like to attend.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

this is my first time attending any bowfishing tournament and i looked it up to and have been doing some research on wonder lake and i have a 12 foot jon boat that doesn't sit very high out of the water with all my gear in it but i am still going. i hope to kill some fish but your canoe should be fine. if it is stable i don't see why you would be able to do it. get other opinions, but from talking to people and research i would say it should be fine. but do what you feel comfortable with.

William
Old 06-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey David, first, yes a canoe will do very well there. Last year canoes did as well as anyone.
Second, Is there a ton of carp? - OH YEAH. It seems like you should be able to just shoot into the water and bring one back.
Third, is it a clean lake? The water is muddy. Still there are so many carp (that's why it's muddy) you will see them.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Great! I will be there. Have to be in Lasalle, IL anyway that weekend. Better watch out I'm bringing my 7 1/2 year old daughter, she might out shhot us all.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

I am real comfortable with it. With the riggers, I would fall out before I could tip it over. I had my 3 girls doing everything they could to tip it over and they didn't even come close. I used it for the first time on Lake Springfield and covered about 3 miles of shorline standing up the whole time. The reason I was asking about daylight shooting at Wonder lake is because it seems that all of the fish in Lake springfield stay below where you can see them during the day. You could see the mud clouds from fish taking off when you went directly over them. Any suggestions how to find fish in the daylight during the summer.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

By August the carp at Wonder Lake will be feeding when you see them. Some will be right out in the open water, slurping at the surface. Others will up along the banks at the surface and quite a few will be feeding on the bottom and all you will be able to see is the big mud cloud and a bit of tail sticking out of the water.

It's not abig numbers shoot, but if the weather is good, you'll get plenty of shots.

I haven't figured out a good trick to see the carp if they are on the bottom in muddy water. You'll see the mud clouds as they take off and that's it. I now just ignore those carp and move on to the ones I can see sticking out of the water.

Here's a tip: If all you can see is the carp's tail, shoot at what you can see. I used to try to shoot where I thought the body should be, but I usually missed altogether. You'll lose about half the fish you hit in the tail.. but you'll still end up with more carp in the end.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should be there. I'm nursing a shoulder-injury right now, but I think I can draw my bow. I'm sure I'll be able to draw it by then for sure.

Christine, are you and Kendall coming? And Jason, how about you? Should be alot of fun, especially if there's a bunch of US. We all have a few new members to meet.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

I would like to participate but I do not have a boat; anybody need a partner? Please PM me!

Thanks,
Judd