HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Kentucky Car-O-Ree (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/190742-kentucky-car-o-ree.html)

carpsniper 05-07-2007 10:18 AM

Kentucky Car-O-Ree

Just got back from the UBK carp-o-ree. What a fun place to shoot fish.

We left home about 3 hours after it started. Got there just as they were finishing up the supper that they put on for the shooters. Registered and hit the water about 8:30pm. I felt kinda like Elwood Blues. "We've got a half tank of gas on a lake I was on once 5 years ago. We're going to a spot we've only been told about, with a map printed from the internet. It's dark. At least I'm not wearing sunglasses. Hit it!"

We actually found the place Joseph told us about. It was awesome. Now I know why there aren't too many Kentuckians running to other tournaments. If I had aplace like that to shoot I wouldn't leave either! :D

Very shortly after we got into the spot. I shot my personal best Buffalo ever, 26lbs 2oz. Just minutes after we got it in the boat Christine got her personal best carp, 24lbs 8oz. After some time we cruised back farther into the bay and just kept finding carp just a little bit bigger than the biggest I'd shot there so I kept flinging arrows. However I was having a bad case of peripheral archery disease.
Then we came upon a small, shallow cut. There was a tree hanging down on one side. I headed the boat in thinking it looked like a possible spot for a grassie. We got up to the tree and something HUGE started to come out of the shadow. My first thought was monster flat head, which are legal in KY. So I drew as quick as I could an put an arrow in it. Christine wisely put a follow-up in it's head. After a short fight, we had a 44lb 4oz bighead in the barrel. Another personal best.
We got back to the ramp about 3:30am, loaded the boat and headed back to the weigh-in site. We got back there about 4:30 and team Carp Trek was already sawing logs.

More later...

JRW 05-07-2007 11:06 AM

RE: Kentucky Car-O-Ree

44#? Good grief! Nice going!

I'm still waiting for the river to drop. Looks like a lot of rain this week, which is good for my re-seeded back yard, but stinks for bowfishing. :(

carpsniper 05-09-2007 10:39 AM

I thought Christine was gonna post these,

I'm really proud of this guy 44lbs 4ozs. My biggest bighead to date and my second biggest fish ever.

This is Christines pile o' fish. The picture doesn't do them justice at all. The carp in the lower left corner was 24lbs. Her best ever. She won the womens division with it. It was the biggest shot during the carp-o-ree so she could have entered it in the open division and won there.

We didn't do a very good job of getting pictures. I shot my biggest buff as well and we didn't even get a picture of it. :eek:oh well.

Still a good night of fishin' when you can come back with three personal bests. :)

We also found what may just be the new bowfishin' rig. Hmmmmmm?

Bulzeye 05-09-2007 10:44 AM

Cool.
Nice fishies! and congrats on the personal bests.

You guys have too much fun.

CHZHead 05-09-2007 12:15 PM

Way to go!! Nice fish!
Is that a possbile new boat for the CIRFU Team?

carpsniper 05-10-2007 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: CHZHead

Is that a possbile new boat for the CIRFU Team?
Well, I doubt it. That dude has to be ten feet wide! That would make travel a bit more of a hassle. ;)
But all joking aside, it would make an awesome mother ship.
The CIRFCU's place in the driveway is secure.

KBI-PREZ 05-10-2007 04:39 PM

:DGood Mother ship.......;)Kendall you crack me up

HNI_Christine 05-11-2007 04:29 PM

That house boat thing is awesome. Shoot some fish, go inside in the air conditioning, make a sandwich. Shoot some more fish, take a nap. You could spend days out on the water.

Pretty tough to haul around tho'.

Anyhow, here are two more pictures from the Carp-o-ree.

A 'pretty' picture. A carp slime slurping butterfly. awwww...

This is after the carporee, down on the TN River. These bigheads are right at the boat. About 20-25lb fish. This is the best my camera can do without apolarized lens.

There's some scum because we're right in the corner by the dam. It was the only still water we could find.

Bulzeye 05-11-2007 09:24 PM

That bighead pic is neat.
I still haven't seen one in person, so now I know what to look for.

KBI-PREZ 05-13-2007 12:45 AM

Just seeing those pics gives me chills Christine nowim having;) bighead withdrawl see what you started lol.......