Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Mississippi River Bigheads

Old 08-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Default Mississippi River Bigheads

Went down to the St Louis area last nightto check out some bowfishing on the big river.

Originally we were going to try to meet up with Fishhunter and the AimLow boys. Scary weather chased Fishhunter off and the Aimlow boat broke. Robin (and Keith?) took Cindy and Jeff of AMS out to this same spot the night before.

I'm not so sure what Fish was afraid of. The weather was beautiful right until we got there.

10 mins after arriving at boat launch. Pics of ramp and bridge. (the wind was about 20mph too)

Old 08-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mississippi River Bigheads

Wheres the fish at i must admit after i talked to Kendall im a so ready to go down there..........BIGHEADS its not just a fish its an OBSESSION,,,

[/align]
Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Robin called and asked how we were doing. Apparently the storm was skipping his house.

Robin gave us a bunch more places to look should the wind and rain die down.

Robert Rice called and I asked him to check out the radar and see what it looked like. He laughed and said somethingabout the storm being about half the size of Illinois. "Maybe it will pass over." he offered.

We settled into nap mode and would occasionally open an eye to check the weather. At 2:30am we were actually able to hit the water.

Amazingly, the rain and wind not only passed over... but it was beautiful out. We went over near the dam and it didn't take long to find the fish. There are lights in some spots where you don't have to use a spotlight. (Which was a good thing because the spotlight croaked about 1 minute into it's use)

The fish were not nearly as spooky as they are in the Illinois River. You'd be fighting one fish on the arrow and a dozen more would pop up around the boat.

They did start to get scarce as the sky started to lighten.Even though we were only out for a couple of hours we did manage to land 21 bigheads.

The fish were pretty much all 17-20lbs 'cept for one baby 5lb bighead.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

We didn't see any big bigheads but pulling in those fish sure was fun. One nearly pulled me into the river. Ithardly pulledat all until it was right next to the boat and then it made a run... I wasn't expecting it. I imagine those 50-60lbOhio river bigheads must really be something to bring in.

My arms are actually sore.

Those fish are extremely adept at soaking you with river water and slime too.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't WAIT to shoot some of those! Weird looking things, aren't they? That one Kendall's holding looks as big as you Christine. When are you guys going again? I want to spend a weekend sometime soon, before I start getting busy again.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it's probably a good thing we couldn't be out any longer. In only about three hours we filled two big barrels. (close to 400 lbs of fish)

Christine didn't mention That I am now the three time "champion of the world"! Har har

The funniest thing was when I was letting a fish run I had just shot. Christine was watching for her next victim. When a bighead came up right beside the boat, She nailed it. It didn't fightand she imediately hoisted it on deck. At the same time my fish made a 'run'. She noticed that her fish had an extra arrow. I'm thinking thats cool (I had lost two arrows to line breakage) I got one of my arrows back. So I start to pull my fish back and the fish on deck moves. It didn't sink in 'til I'd tugged at it a couple times. My fish had gone under the boat and come up on the other side. Normally they head for the basement.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm only crediting you with two Champion titles. You didn't call the one. You have call them first. Can't just shoot a fish and then declare yourself the winner. HA!
Old 08-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice!

I'd be very happy to shoot 17 pound fish all day, unless I have to haul them around without a boat. That's when the smaller ones are much more convenient.

Glad to hear that the storm cleared in time for you to get some nice fish, even if you had to go out by yourselves.

Kendall, that's just too funny about your fish pullingthat stealth move on you. Really cool about getting the arrow back.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, I didn't get your message until two hours before dark, and nobody would respond to my inquiries about time and place to meet.

How about a daytime shoot over there some time?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

The forecast looked bleak for Friday so I didn't push you to drive all the way out there. It is fun to tease you about it tho'.

How is your silver carp injury doing?

I'm willing to go back down there. Day and/or night. I'd like to try it with a working spotlight.

Quick Reply: Mississippi River Bigheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.