Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake? >

Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake?

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake?

Old 07-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Spike

Default Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake?

The lake that I live closest to (Lake Jacksonville) was once overran with carp and allthough I am unsure if carp were the primary reason, it was drained almost completely, some say by accident, some say on purpose, I really don't know the facts.

ON to the point...it was restocked and became a great bass lake, but I am hearing that the carp population is huge again and there are many,many large carp in there. THis lake is listed as a 2 pole and line fishing only , which means no bowfishing.

ARe there steps that can be taken to get this changed? Anyone ever had any luck with this?

any ideas at all?

thanks,

CS
Old 07-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake?

CS:

The first thing you need to do is get ahold of your District Fisheries Biologist from The IDNR ( I believe in that area the name is Mike Mounce), and ask him if this is possible. If it is he will write up an administrative order and take it to a special meeting held in Springfield, I believe, sometime in the late fall/early winter. That is where it will be voted on by an advisory committee. The earliest it would become legal would be next April 1st.

I can tell you this, if it is within city limits or if there is housing all around the lake your chances are slim to none that it will get passed.

I wish you the best,
Mikey

Old 07-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

CS:

Your biologist last name is Jones. Sorry, but I don't know his first name. I told you it was Mike Mounce, and that was incorrect. Anyway, you can call your district IDNR office and get the full name and phone number.

Mikey
Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I was going to post that his name is probably 'Mike' since it seems like all the lake/fisheries guysI know are named Mike

Mike Mounce
Mike Garthaus
Mike Hooe
Mike Steffa

.... and the fisheries biologist for Lake Jacksonville... (I looked it up).... is...

Mike Jones. Really.

http://www.ifishillinois.org/gofish/FAQ.htm#mybiologist

Old 07-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Spike

THanks for the info!

We waterfowl hunt the lake, so I would think bowfishing would not be a big problem. I guess we will find out.

If by some miracle it does get legalized I will have to have everyone over for a shoot. hehehe

later,

CS
Old 07-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did somebody say 'shoot' ?

<----- IL Bowfishers party at opening of new lake.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not so fast there Bulz. CS, let us know if you need any help. We'd all be glad to help get another spot open even if we don't hit all the ones we have now as much as we'd like.

Let's wait 'til they say yes. Then we'll
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Spike

Hey guys it looks to be a no go.

I spoke in person with Mr. Jones, he indicated that I needed to talk to the city first. When I told him the parks and lakes sup has stated I could shoot all the carp I want to a friend, he said he couldn't justify pushing paper work through for "one guy".

Hey went on to tell me that I would get tons of "flack" from recreational boaters, and bass tournament people.

He then stated he wasn't going to turn someone loose on the lake with a bow and arrow and in his opinion the work required to get the public opinion on board would not be worth "shooting some carp". He implied that I would need to have public hearings on the subject etc.

I then asked if the fact that carp had overrun this exact lake before it was drained would help, and he said until they start effecting the bass population, they are not "thick", and right now the bass population is one of the best in the state of IL.

He did tell me that if I got a list of every person that hosts or "holds" a bass tournament out there, and get each and everyone of them to sign an affidavit stating it was ok to have bowfishing, then he might look into it.

Let me say the Mike was honest and to the point and called me back almost immediately on this subject so I thank him for that.

Thanks for the input from the forum,

later

CS
Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

CS, don't give up hope! You've made a good start.
Who is the contact person for the local Bass club? Is there a Crappie club? I'm sure they will overwhelmingly support your efforts. You already have the parks guy on your side. We also need to find out who the Regional Land Manager is and contact them.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Good point carpsniper!! Remember, the local fish and game try and do a good job, but they are busy with other things in these times. The outdoors men/women are the ones who are really letting them know what is going on. The local crappie/bass clubs, are the trick. You talk with them inform them how the carp with descimate the game and lake, and they will be up in arms to stop them. Which is the real trick, is to manage the lake, not wait till the population is out of control, then there is no way to turn it, and they have to drain it if they can. Poor management, alot of tax money wasted, and a whole lot of fun lost.

Quick Reply: Steps to get bowfishing legal on a lake?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.