Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

888's

Old 07-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 888's

Well, just got back from 'Steve the reel' man. He as able to get a new inside cap and pin for my old USA Made 888. It is now up and running. He said that the new China made 888's you cannot get parts. Just to keep the one that I have and rob parts off it as I need them. What a deal, he fixed my one 888, got new parts for my old 888, and worked on the other one that he could not fix. All for a grand total of $5.76. I gave him a $10, big spender arn't I. So now should have enough reels to get me through the weekend. The guys from Michigan should be here any time now. Pretty good deal, Taking a guy and his son, and a his buddy out big head shooting down to Ky dam. I have never met the guy, or even talked to him on the phone. Everything on e-mail. Should be interesting. It takes a lot of faith too on their part. If you have ever been to my house, I hope he can find it in the dark. boonies to say the least..I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 888's

ORIGINAL: Johnny b

So now should have enough reels to get me through the weekend.

I thought you were gonna say 'get me through the season'!! Them bigheads are really that tough on reels, huh?
Old 07-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got back from Ky, and all the reels made it through. I managed to land 6 with the largest being 33# and one 27# and the Rino5 Did perfect. I was able to get my buddy from Michigan to switch his retriever to a 888. His first big head was a dandy 39#4oz brute and he had retreive line all over the boat before we got it in. We put on the 888 and his next shot was a 35# and did he ever have a ball craning it in and watching it run the drag several times. When they break the reels is when you are cranking in when they make a run. That can scramble the drag system.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

You used a Rhino 5 reel? with 150 pound test fastflight? It performed good?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fishstix,
Yes I used a rino5 with 200 # fast flight. I really like the reel a lot. It is very smooth and has two pick up pins. I plan on getting another one when they come in at Walmart. Suppose to be 4 in by the 14th. One word of caution. I broke my first one, but it was my fault. When shooting and missing, and the arrow would stick in the clay mud, I would just haul back and pull out the arrow. The pins will not take that kind of punshment. So now I find some thing to wrap the line one. Since is usually use a rod I cannot put a Line puller on. Although I do not use a rod for carp. So then I just wrap it around the end of the real seat. Snuffy wears a shooting glove,and just pulls the arrow out that way.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot,
Boy were you right Robow7. I got my new Zebco omega the other day, and it would be fine for blue gill. Doubt if you could get 10 yds of line on it. Was really nice, with three pick up pins all steel. very smooth. Which it was twice the size. I sent it packing the same day I got it.