HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Rhino 5 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/145178-rhino-5-a.html)

Johnny b 06-15-2006 02:53 PM

Rhino 5

Just went to walmart to get me a new reel and they did not have the Zebco model that I was looking for. SoI bought this Rhino 5 thing. Looks like a pretty good reel, steel, ball berrings, two pick up post. Has any one used one yet? Just was wondering if they are any good before I head to big head country on Saturday. johnny. b.

robow7 06-15-2006 03:00 PM

RE: Rhino 5

Johnny B, that's what I was using at the state shoot and last night, that is until it went on the blink about midnight. I think I have it fixed but we'll see if it's Bighead tough :D

HNI_Christine 06-15-2006 03:17 PM

You guys keep fighting with those spincasts.. ;)

I'm still on the same Retriever reel.

Bulzeye 06-15-2006 08:42 PM

I haven't heard of the Rhino.

I did however get a Synergy Titanium (like anybody needs titanium in a reel). They were out of the regular synergy.

It's doing fine so far, but I've only had it on for about 8 fish of 10 pounds or less, but it did survive a full day of practice at Evergreen at Lake Days.

Johnny b 06-15-2006 09:08 PM

Bulseye, So far I have not heard anyone liking the Synergy reels. But may be they did not have titaniam either. We will find out what the rino is made of on Saturday for sure. johnny b.

Bulzeye 06-16-2006 11:58 AM

I'm pretty sure that the lack oflongevitiy on the part of my personal Synergys has been caused by me forgetting to hit the button [:@]before shooting rather than just being too flimsy to fight the fish.

They may, in fact, not be up to the challenge, but I can't say that for sure until I have one fail when I've done my part right every time.
It might be a while between me forgetting, and sometimes accidentally brushing the handle on something after I do remember.

I'm hoping to hear that the Rhino, Zebco 808, or the New Muzzy reel is the answer to the problem.

Johnny b 06-16-2006 02:06 PM

Just talked to the reel repair shop here in town where i dropped off my 888, He said that the Anti-reverse was scrambled. Had to order new parts, So it was not up to, too many big heads. I know that Robow has had problems with them, and it was usually while cranking them in while they were running the drag. I know I'm ready to find a decent reel that will take the pressure. Hopefully this weekend I can find enough big heads to get an answer. thanks for the reply, Johnny b.

KBI-PREZ 06-16-2006 08:00 PM

I had a synergy and i tossed it. Went to the zebcos and havent had any troubles since...knock on wood........

Johnny b 06-17-2006 09:30 PM

Just got back from my first trip with the new rino 5 reel. Boy do i like it. It is very smooth and was problem free. BUT, It did not get to tangle with any big heads. Was really nice pushing the button and it releasing everytime, with no hang up's at all. Time will tell..

RobinAim Low 06-17-2006 09:51 PM

We have decent luck with the Synergies, but have found the key is to keep the line sprayed with Reel Majic. The new Zebcos are, well, junk. Made in china now and just don't hold up at all. I have a couple of 808's that are like 7 years old and still going strong though.

Allseasonhunter7 06-18-2006 08:23 PM

im using a south bend proton now

my synergy was shot to $#$@ anti reverse broke gears worn button stoped pushing

bowman15 06-19-2006 05:20 AM

That seems to be the most common problem with the Synergys. Mine crapped out on me at the Evergreen-shoot. First, the anti-reverse stopped working, then, at the shoot, the button wouldn't push. I have a new one I switched to, but I think it'll be my last. I only bought it cause I found them for $15.00. I'm waiting to hear how those Muzzy-reels hold up. Otherwise, I'm going back to my Retriever.

fishstix 06-19-2006 09:53 AM

I have a shakespeare synergy been using for two years and haven't had a problem with it yet (nocks on head). But like all things, depends on who and how and often we use it. My brother has been using the new proton since the state tourny and hasn't had any problems with it either.

bowman15 06-19-2006 10:01 AM

Well, in defense of the Synergy, and to be totally honest, when I first transitioned from the Retriever to the spincast-setup, I would sometimes forget to push the release, or I'd bump the handle and engage the pins, and shoot. I know that didn't help things much. But I'll see how long this new one lasts under more 'friendly' usage.

robow7 06-19-2006 11:09 AM

Just a quick note, my Rhino never made it to the Bighead test, it got toasted last night by a few carp. The search fora perfect bowfishing reel remains the Holy Grail.

Bulzeye 06-19-2006 11:31 AM

I really do like the drag feature, anti reverse, and speed of the spincasts.
I sure hope somebody can make one durable enough for us clods.

KASKASKIA BIG HEADS 06-20-2006 04:27 AM

i have the same one i have had all year

my buddy that got me addicted to bowfishing has the same reel that he has had for 3 years so those zebcos seem to be like a old harley you always have to be working on them lol

Allseasonhunter7 06-20-2006 02:21 PM

even muzzys wasnt good enough [&:]

Johnny b 06-22-2006 07:19 PM

Was able to sneek away this afternoon for a few hours. Got to the lake just as a quick rain squall hit. Went and had lunch and waited it out. Another trouble free day with the rino5. Tough day on me. I boated a nice 6# on second shot, 4th shot a nice 9# 7oz dude. Then had 4 pull off in a row. They would run up into the cattails and I just could not get them out. I even had one in the boat with arrow in one hand my thumb in his mouth, one good flop and in the drink she went. She was a dandy too. Fish were up pretty good, water was cloudy and I kept shooting over them. When will we ever learn. They are just right there and then I get to watch the arrow go sailing right over them.
Well that is it for now. We need this weekend to get there so we have some new stuff to rite about...

Johnny b 06-25-2006 06:22 PM

Well there is the latest scoop on my Rino 5 reel. It worked fawless until I abused it. It looks like when you miss a fish(yes that does happen) and the arrow sticks in the glue like mud. You cannot just use the reel to pull the arrow out. The pick up pins just will not take that kind of pressure. So after doing that all day Saturday, one finally broke in the evening. And the reel just will not work with only one pin. So if I had used my brain and a line puller I might still have a working reel. I do not know what it is with me and reels. I was able to get my Zebco 888 to get me through the night. Although by morning it was really sticking and I had to yank on the line to make sure it had released.

Rick S. 06-26-2006 08:38 PM

I saw a new PB reel today at theBig R Farm Store. It's a Bass Pro model that holds 130 yds of 20 lb, which puts it in the bowfishing class. I pulled the coneoff and it has two pins/rollers - brass pin with a steel roller sleeve. Probably not any better than the others out there, but the roller pins were interesting. I'm still trying to break my Synergy and PS888.

None of them shoot as good as a Retreiver, tho. :D

robow7 06-26-2006 09:46 PM

What's a PB reel?

Rick S. 07-01-2006 08:51 AM

Push Button, aka spincast. Guess I was too lazy to type it out the first time. Here's a link to the reel. Kinda pricey and didn't do very will on the review. Bass Pro was gutsy enuf to print it, tho.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=51651&hvarDept=100&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=1&hvarSubCode= 3&hvarTarget=browse

Johnny b 07-04-2006 11:17 AM

Well in the un-ending search for a quality reel, I just ordered the new Zebco Omega reel listed in Bass Pro's cataloge. Really has some nice reviews. and a 5 out of 5 rating is pretty good. Doubt if it gets here by this weekend when I will be heading down to Ky Dam. But we will see how the rino5 reel holds up. later.

robow7 07-04-2006 03:36 PM

John, I may be wrong but I doubt that the Zebco Omega has the line capacity to be used as a bowfishing reel, that is if you plan on using 200 lb. fast flight on it. 10 LB/85 YDS is the advertised line capacity but that's not much when you starting using fast flight. The 888's have a capacity of 100 yds of 20 lb test and I routinely get about 25 yds maxof fast flight on them. Hope I'm wrong and it works like a dream.

Johnny b 07-04-2006 03:59 PM

Well if it does not hold enough line I guess I will have a nice fishing reel to use. That is if I ever go fishing again. But I will put as much line on it as I can. Usually do not shoot long shots. I leave that to my partner 'Shuffy'. He shoot way farther than I try to. He can put is dot on the fish and it he usually hits it. I have seen him make some unbelievealbe shots. I prefer the snap shot at my feet, as you know. So I'm thinking it will hold enough line for me. Sure is fun anyhow.

KBI-PREZ 07-04-2006 09:28 PM

I was at wal-mart today and seent he new 808 zebco has changed from the style i have to a different casing anyhow but i have 3 for now so im good to go.....

Johnny b 07-24-2006 03:01 PM

Robow7 was right the new zebco quantium is way too small for bowfishing. It was a nice reel with 3 pick up pins and very smooth. So far the Rino 5 is holding up even to big heads. Did not have one problem down at Ky dam. later.