HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Rhino 5 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/145178-rhino-5-a.html)

Johnny b 06-15-2006 02:53 PM

Rhino 5

Just went to walmart to get me a new reel and they did not have the Zebco model that I was looking for. SoI bought this Rhino 5 thing. Looks like a pretty good reel, steel, ball berrings, two pick up post. Has any one used one yet? Just was wondering if they are any good before I head to big head country on Saturday. johnny. b.

robow7 06-15-2006 03:00 PM

RE: Rhino 5

Johnny B, that's what I was using at the state shoot and last night, that is until it went on the blink about midnight. I think I have it fixed but we'll see if it's Bighead tough :D

HNI_Christine 06-15-2006 03:17 PM

You guys keep fighting with those spincasts.. ;)

I'm still on the same Retriever reel.

Bulzeye 06-15-2006 08:42 PM

I haven't heard of the Rhino.

I did however get a Synergy Titanium (like anybody needs titanium in a reel). They were out of the regular synergy.

It's doing fine so far, but I've only had it on for about 8 fish of 10 pounds or less, but it did survive a full day of practice at Evergreen at Lake Days.

Johnny b 06-15-2006 09:08 PM

Bulseye, So far I have not heard anyone liking the Synergy reels. But may be they did not have titaniam either. We will find out what the rino is made of on Saturday for sure. johnny b.

Bulzeye 06-16-2006 11:58 AM

I'm pretty sure that the lack oflongevitiy on the part of my personal Synergys has been caused by me forgetting to hit the button [:@]before shooting rather than just being too flimsy to fight the fish.

They may, in fact, not be up to the challenge, but I can't say that for sure until I have one fail when I've done my part right every time.
It might be a while between me forgetting, and sometimes accidentally brushing the handle on something after I do remember.

I'm hoping to hear that the Rhino, Zebco 808, or the New Muzzy reel is the answer to the problem.

Johnny b 06-16-2006 02:06 PM

Just talked to the reel repair shop here in town where i dropped off my 888, He said that the Anti-reverse was scrambled. Had to order new parts, So it was not up to, too many big heads. I know that Robow has had problems with them, and it was usually while cranking them in while they were running the drag. I know I'm ready to find a decent reel that will take the pressure. Hopefully this weekend I can find enough big heads to get an answer. thanks for the reply, Johnny b.

KBI-PREZ 06-16-2006 08:00 PM

I had a synergy and i tossed it. Went to the zebcos and havent had any troubles since...knock on wood........

Johnny b 06-17-2006 09:30 PM

Just got back from my first trip with the new rino 5 reel. Boy do i like it. It is very smooth and was problem free. BUT, It did not get to tangle with any big heads. Was really nice pushing the button and it releasing everytime, with no hang up's at all. Time will tell..

RobinAim Low 06-17-2006 09:51 PM

We have decent luck with the Synergies, but have found the key is to keep the line sprayed with Reel Majic. The new Zebcos are, well, junk. Made in china now and just don't hold up at all. I have a couple of 808's that are like 7 years old and still going strong though.