HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Carlyle Dam Big heads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/144619-carlyle-dam-big-heads.html)

Johnny b 06-08-2006 07:51 PM

Carlyle Dam Big heads

Picked up KBI-Prez this morning at 5:30am and headed down to Carlyle dam to wack and stack some. Had Mr. Extreme along to keep us toeing the line. Got there at a few clicks after 8am. was 174 miles from Danville. Was a little slow the first pass, although we did see some. There were gar everywhere. We shot a few, but started Trophy Big head shooting. First Ole KBI Wacked a nice 30#der, we had a few photo opts, and then two minutes later I shot a 35# 5oz, and deflated his ego. Took ole Mr Extreme a bit to get use to Aiming low and letter go. Finally he sent some cold hard fiberglass down the throat of a 21# der that gave him quite a tussle. A few minutes after that he wacked a nice 26#. We got pictures of the first one, but have no idea why we did not get the big one. At this point I was just spotting for him and Bill was shooting a left overs. From about 12:30 to 3 they were coming down the river from the Dam in droves. We just stayed in one spot and shot away. Boated 5 in 10 minutes once.
We did have one controversy. There was a second boat shooting and they are local's that shoot there all the time. While we were having lunch and streching out legs. They (other boat) had a park ranger come and run them off. Told them that it was a recreation area and no projectiles were allowed to be shot in that area including the river. Of course this was a woman ranger. So they left, and good for us so did she. They came down to the ramp and told us. The woman in the boat called the corps of engineers and asked where the deleanation line was and no one knew. So we prceeded to go on back up and shoot any how. Then we looked across the river and there were three guys walking down the river bank in between fishermen and were shooting fish as well right on the park bank. The folks in the other boat said that they have talked to the local Game warden and they have no problem with shooting in that area.
All in all if anyone is interested in going down it is a lot of fun and lots of fish. You can even give the fish to some of the people on the river side. Some are really happy to get them. If you like lots of shooting go for it. Especially if you are trigger happy and like flinging sticks at the gar..

Mr Extreme's first bighead.

HNI_Christine 06-08-2006 08:06 PM

RE: Carlyle Dam Big heads

Muy Coolio about the fish.

:D

Please send me the pictures. Thanks!

Mr Extreme 06-08-2006 08:29 PM

Hello;)
Well I shot two big heads:D and one hit but it bounced off:([:@]
but i'm happy with the two big heads. The1st big head was 21# and
the 2nd big head was 26# and the one that bounced out probably weighed 50#lol oh yea seen lots of gar and shot at them too and missed[:@]

KBI-PREZ 06-09-2006 02:18 PM

MMMMMM well let me just say after i shot the 30 pounder and Johnny landed the other one i think he was standing on hte tail of the fish while he was hanging on hte scales right John....;)Also have to say as we all know Zebco reel 30.00, reel seat 15.00 but the look on John's face as his arrow and reel went out into the river was PRICELESS..........we had a blast......

CHZHead 06-10-2006 06:26 AM

I would have LOVED to have seen that look on the face of my big bro!

I also like how you guys always manage to shoot the "big ones" when I'm not around!!! Congratulations Tyler on your big fish, yourstory sounds much more credible...(except for the 50 pounder):D.

Love ya, Aunt Dino

KASKASKIA BIG HEADS 06-10-2006 07:23 AM

CONGRATS ON THE RECORD

BUT THERE ARE BIGGER ONES AS YOU GUYS HAVE SEEN AND THE 50 POUNDERS THEY ARE IN THERE SO GOODLUCK TO NE 1 THAT WILL GO

ILL BE DOWN THERE ALL DAY LEAVING IN 25 MINUTES

KBI-PREZ 06-10-2006 08:36 AM

Hey Mike good luck hope you see a bunch of em. This cold weather could hurt a bit.[:@]

KASKASKIA BIG HEADS 06-12-2006 02:07 AM

ya it hurt us on the big heads but gar every where and alot of nice buffs in that cove

rob mentioned he is comng down monday and if he reads this ill be there um ill call you in the morning just got home at 315 alot of fish saturday but we could find big heads saw 2 missed them both but shot 2 on accident ended with 29 total fingers got torn up thats a GREAT feeling we missed way to many