HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Illinois Bowfishers Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club-77/)
-   -   Met another bowfisher (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/illinois-bowfishers-club/142054-met-another-bowfisher.html)

Bulzeye 05-09-2006 09:25 PM

Met another bowfisher

Last weekend I got outto DesPlaines Conservation Area a couple of times to do some morning shooting. One day, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself sharing the water with another bowfisherman I had not yet met.

His name is Mike and he appears to love bowfishing as much as anyone I've met.He has heard of the Illinois Bowfishers, but is not currently a member, and to my knowledge, has yet to attend one of our events.

I got one carp early on since he was teasing me by rolling wildly when I pulled up. Then Mike and I teamed up, with him in his waders and me on the shore. This young man and I gave it our best while we talked and got to know each other, but the fish were scarce. We only saw the faintest of sign for quite a while, but no shooters.

I had gotten a tip from a local about a spot nearby, so we checked it out and then went to another part of the park. Shadows were the rule here, and only a precious few of them were close enough to warrant a Hail Mary shot. As we came to a place that wasn't as overgrown as the rest, Mike spotted a fin, but couldn't take the shot from his vantage point. I made space for it on the end of a Muzzy and brought in my very first Shortnose. Thanks Mike. Good eyes. I hope to hear from you and see you at a shoot.

If anyone sees a northern Illinois bowfishercarryinga backpack stuffed with a car battery to power his bow-mounted-light, it's probably Mike. I don't know anyone elsethat hungry to hunt fish. Say hello to him if you see him. This young man seems to know his way around both a bow and a fishing rod.

-Bulz

scmtnhnter 05-09-2006 11:19 PM

RE: Met another bowfisher

cool man so there are more fanatics out there huh ? i have yet to see any while im out there o well it got the lake to myself

Bulzeye 05-10-2006 10:36 AM

There are tons of people out there who haven't even heard of bowfishing yet, and quite a few who used to do it or are interested but need some help getting started. The word is getting out and they're hitting the water more and more now.

I don't mind fishing alone, but having the company was a nice change of pace.

Johnny b 05-10-2006 12:28 PM

Yea, I know the feeling. KBI-PREZ and I were out Saturday at Vermilion fishing club lake, and wala there was another boat with two guys. Only one was shooting. They appeared really new at it. In fact did not even have polorids on. So we gave them some tips. They did not get any that day, just could not see them. We seen them again on Sunday, They were leaving as we were arriving for a night shoot. Well with glasses in hand they had managed to boat 8. Plus the preverbal giant that they missed. Did not get to talk about ILL Bowfishers tho. next time. So I guess there are a few around...johnny b.

robow7 05-10-2006 01:29 PM

It wasn't this young man was it??

http://www.bowfishusa.com/community/index.php?topic=11716.0

Bulzeye 05-10-2006 02:37 PM

That'shim, battery power and all.

Mark S 05-10-2006 02:41 PM

That's dedication! If I remember right he has a little v-bottom set up for the Chain. Seems to do pretty well with it. Goes to show it doesn't take a big fancy boat and lots of money to have a great time. A lot of success can be had in this sport with a little ingenuity!

KBI-PREZ 05-10-2006 02:52 PM

Now that fella is really dedicated........but at least hes tryin

JRW 05-10-2006 08:56 PM

Unbelievable! That's one tough young man. I hope he's careful with that battery on his back. It could be a touch dangerous.