Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

NH Bear Hunts

Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Spike

Default NH Bear Hunts

Hey guys, this is my first post. After a few year I finally got my first deer last year. I fish a lot and am the type that loves to fish for a lot of different species as opposed to specializing. So though I will continue to deer hunt I wanted to try my hand at a different species. Obviously big game hunting is a very expensive option so it looks like bear, possibly boar are my best bets. I am not looking into a luxurious hunt by any stretch. IF I had time and was in an area with a higher density I would try baiting myself. However, with work/family I just don’t have the time.

I’ve been looking online and seen some hunts for 800-900 which sounds about right. To be honest I can not spend much more than that at all. I sent some e-mails out to outfitters but am looking for some personal experience/advice. Focusing in bear in NH as I am a NH resident and it seems the most cost effective but would consider other species/states. Boar is a close second but bear seems like it is only a little more expensive and appeals to me more for some reason. I really like to get out there and experience the hunt so I don’t mind helping out with baiting, driving myself etc. Though I understand they are wild animals and there are so many variables to be frank it would be disappointed to not tag out. I do not want a record breaker by any stretch just a “decent adult”. After hearing a description of what I’m looking for please give suggestions as my birthday is coming up which is a good time to put down a deposit. I’m hoping to make one hunting trip a year for under a 1000 and this would be my first. Thanks guys.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come hunt NJ during the week long shotgun deer hunt, which is also the same week for bears, the week of December 3rd. Firearm tag for NR is roughly $135, and the bear tag is $2.00, lottery for the bear tag. Look up the info on the NJ Fish,& Game web page
Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Spike

Funny I never even considered NJ. I like how it runs the same time as the deer season. How are the densities? You think a nonresident would have a reasonble chance at a bear? A combo trip would be nice. Thank you for the reply.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer zones and bear zones overlap each other, but are numbered differently. NR has a very good chance at a bear, either sex, any age is open game. I would look into deer zone 1, 2, 3, 4 lots of public land, within these zones it would be bear zones 1, 2, 3....When hunting here in NJ for deer or bear, you must use slugs of 10ga, 12ga, 16ga, or 20ga, or a muzzleloader the shotgun & muzzleloader must have either rifle type iron sights, peep sight, or scope, baiting isn't allowed. I took a bear in 2003 our first season on the last day, I see lots of bears during the archery season, where they go when the season is open for them is another story. Any other questions let me know. My sister lives in Loudon, NH, I need to get up there and use her 40 acres to hunt

Last edited by BOWHUNTERCOP; 05-18-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

look up cantrap northern adventure awesome people lots of bears and price is right in your range. i went with buddy last yr we were his first archery clients and both tagged out. mike was i b lieve 100% shot opportunity one hunter was holding out for one of the 400 pounders he has roaming around passed several 250lb bear i say thats pretty good odds for ya you wont be dissappointed got ?s just pm me
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to stay in New Hampshire this hunt,mainly just to keep costs down. I've been talking to NH Guide Services and Deadwater Adventures. Both are offering good deals and seem really nice. This is my first paid hunt and it's just hard to put down my money with people I don't know. Hoping to just pick one soon.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

best of luck, and have fun.....if you ever want info on NJ hunting or need a good public land spot just ask me
Old 05-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Spike

I ended up booking with nhguideservices. They seem like great guys and I'm psyched. Appreciate the offer bowhuntercop. I hope to be doing more huntin for different species in different areas as cheaply as possible. I'm not that far from Loudon and know a few spots for deer in Auburn, Raymond, Danville. Most of the areas are in Unit M so you can take two extra does if you are looking to fill the freezer. All spots are public and some get hit pretty hard. But the escape routes are same every year so you can usethe hunters to your advantage. Let me know and I can e-mail you a few spots. It's mostly shotgun/muzzleloader around here too. I hunt mostly with a TC Omega, love that rifle.