Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters
 Hunting in Canada this year? – This is a must read! >

Hunting in Canada this year? – This is a must read!

Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

Hunting in Canada this year? – This is a must read!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

Default Hunting in Canada this year? – This is a must read!

Any hunters planning to hunt in Canada this year should read this article.

This article covers;

1. Passport
2. US Customs form 4457
3. Canada Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form 909
4. Denied Admission to Canada
5. Bring back your Canadian Hunting Trophies

The article can be read by clicking: http://hubpages.com/hub/gssafaris
Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
GNO
Spike

Default RE: Hunting in Canada this year? – This is a must read!

Wow! As an outfitter in NW Ontario I am amazed that I have not had my hunters have alot of these issues. Whoever wrote this article has alot of the facts misrepresented. Some things are minor, but not correct statements, and need to be corrected.
1)Passports are not required to enter Canada by land. They will be required to re enter the US after June 2009. The passports are being completed for most in 3-4 weeks.
2)This form 4457 can be filled out, although I have never had aclient have any issue bringing their equipment back into the US and have never been asked for the form when returning or charged duty on the goods they originally took into Canada. The firearm declaration from Canadian customs would prove that they owned their firearms when entering Canada and that it was not purchased in Canada.
3)You can fill out the firearms declaration online or at customs. It is not a must and I recommend that my hunters do this at the border to make sure the forms are filled out correctly and it has never created an issue. It only takes a few minutes per hunter. Customs accepts credit cards and also US currency. They do not accept $100 bills though. I cross the border regularly and pay by all the ways listed above.
4)Denied access to Canada - minor offenses will not deny entry into Canada. A DUI, assualt charges, or any felony charges may make you in admissable to Canada depending on how long ago the offenses were. A DUI is a felony offense in Canada. Calling customs and talking about any offenses you may have can answer any questions on inadmissability you may have.
5)There are new fees for having animals shipped back into the US. The hunters can take the animals back into the US without these fees and without the form. As an outfitter, if I want to take them across for the hunters. I would have to fill out forms and have a special importers license. If hunters take their trophies back with them it will avoid any delays and hassles and avoid any of the forms.

It would be good for the poster of this to get the facts straight. As a booking agent, this is a pretty bad thing to do to your Canadian outfitters. If you can't get the facts straight, it would be scary to let you line up a hunt and see what is really there when the hunter arrives!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

GNO,

This should not be taken as a threat. It is only meant so hunters could be prepared.

Regards,
Rick
Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 PM
GNO
Spike

I did not take it as a threat. In my reply you would have seen that I corrected the misinformation that you are putting out. Misinforming people is worse than the rules that are out there, it is hard enough for people to keep them straight without people putting incorrect info online for them to read. To the best of my knowledge, you are like the vast majority of booking agents, misinformed and clueless, but yet quick to put information out that you picked up second hand without researching it.