Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters
 STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD >

STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Old 11-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

We just got back from hunting at this lodge for a week, let me tell you this place really sucks. Let me just give you a list of the problems.

1) The lodge was dirty, roaches, bugs, &mice all over
2) The food was gross
3) The treestands where dangerous, they are way to high 35'/40', and leaning towards the tree on a steep angle or leaning left or right
4) When I or any huntersaw a shooter they wouldn't let me nor the other hunters hunt that stand
5) They would rush us out into the woods so they could hunt themselves
6) Pick us up late, making us wait in the stands
7) Gave verbal directions to the stands, with no bright eyes to follow, all the hunters in camp got turned around & lost
8) They got mad at one hunter for taking a 135" buck
9) When picked up atlunch time, or at night the guides & owner would be drinking beer or smell of beer, and pick us up late
10) One hunter video taped a huge drop tine buck 200", the owner got really mad, don't ask me why

A friend of mine as been hunting with this guy for a few years, and had nothing but great things to say, but when I called him he was mad. He called a friend of his that lives near the lodge, and his friend backed up what I told him.

So if any of you are going to use this place, think twice before giving up your hard earn money to STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS
Old 11-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Spike

Default RE: STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Is this guy a licensed outfitter?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Just did a google search and this is what I found right off the bat........

On December 3, 2003 Iowa Conservation Officer Craig Roberg received a TIP call that would lead him on a very interesting deer poaching case. The call indicated that a Mr. Rob Grassmid of Zeeland, Michigan had killed a large buck in Iowa while hunting with Steel Creek Outfitters of Garden Grove Iowa. Pursuant to the TIP call Officer Roberg began an investigation with the help of the Michigan DNR. The Grassmid deer rack along with one belonging to a Micheal Lampen of Hamilton, Michigan were seized from a Michigan taxidermist.
During the course of interviews by the Michigan DNR, Mr. Grassmid and Mr. Lampen both admitted to taking bucks in Iowa during October 2003. Both individuals purchased Iowa antlerless only bow licenses for 2003. They said that their guide Ernie Scott told them the only reason they needed the Iowa antlerless tags was in case they got checked by the game warden. He also told them to go ahead and kill bucks and he would get tags for them. After both men had killed bucks they left them in the field as directed by their guide. They then drove to Missouri and bought Missouri non-resident deer tags which they placed on their Iowa deer. Both men were charged with taking an antlered deer on an antlerless license and failure to tag deer as required. Both men plead guilty and have paid fines and court costs of $294 each and liquidated damages of $4000 each. The outfitter was later charged with similar offenses. The Michigan men had their hunting licenses and associated privileges suspended for one year and the guide was suspended for 2 years. Since Iowa is a member of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact, these suspensions are effective in 19 states.
The TIP board approved a $250 reward and an additional $250 from the Larry Zach Trophy Deer Reward Fund. As of January 31st, 2005 the pictures of both poachers could still be viewed on the Steel Creek Outfitters website.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Spike

How is a guide like this still in business? How does this continue to happen and they only get a slap on the wrist. They should lose the farm.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good friend of mine was there last year, and we also just saw that poaching thread on www.newjerseyhunter.com, this took place in 2003, and he got suspened for 2 years from what the artical states, so if my friend was hunting there last year and I know he no knowledge of this, was this guide conducting guide hunts while suspended? It is funny, cause on our last day of the hunt, around 11am I was being driven to my stand by the owner a 150" plus buck chased a doe in front of the truck and into a field the buck and doe both out of breath, I asked him can I try a stalk on him, the guide had a look on his face like he just farted in middle of church services, and then said "NO WAY !!!!!" Now others that have hunted there in the past when told about this, all said that he would of said "YES" in past.

I guess my friends and I live and learn from this nightmare
Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 AM

Well supposedly he had his license suspended for 2 years and in that two years he still has photos on his website of hunters and hunts...Pretty SHADY GUY!!! I see that they really promoted the fact that they guided MossyOaks Mega Bucks X in 2004...Wonder how some of this filming stuff goes down....
Old 12-09-2006, 11:43 PM

I find this to be the most untrue crap that I have ever read. I was just in Iowa with Steel Creek and it was the hunt of a lifetime. First the stands are not that high.
2. You only hunt stands based on the wind. If the wind is wrong you do not sit there with a bad wind no matter what kind of deer that you are seeing
3. You wait in your stands so that you do not spook or blow the fields that you are hunting when you leave
4. The stands are all lined with bright eyes and no one in my party of five ever had trouble finding their stands
5. As far as stalking deer it is right on the sheet that you sign the first night that states the guides rules as NO STALKING WHAT SO EVER!! Or are the school systems in NJ that bad
6. Come to think of it we had a guy in our camp from NJ too. He was a whiney woman also
7. If you travel all the way to Iowa for a 135" buck then you are crazy. There are plenty of places to stop on the way. Don't apply and take my license for a 2 year old deer
8. Every single person in camp the week I was there is applying to come back and all are trying to fill the guides weeks as soon as possible

To all the hunters not from NJ, If you are willing to sit all day not be scared of the dark, not be afraid to sit inn your stand, and are willing to hunt hard and hunt the right way this is the place to be! By the way I did not even harvest a buck in the week that I was there. But I had oppurtunities at 160" and saw some that were even bigger than that. If a 130 makes your hunt cool, but please do it in another state. Cause the 2 year old that you shoot is the 5 year old I want a chance at
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 AM

What, do you work with this guy! You shouldn't throw stones at people you don't know! I don't care what state you live in if your paying for a hunt check his ref 's!! Also first post- lil fishy to me!
Old 12-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

That's exactly what I thought. He works for them or owns it. Just didn't want to say it. One post and he'll probably never be back. Right Frank???????
Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 AM

In reply to what you said i am not throwing stones at anyone. It is the first guy that is throwing stones. I do not work for the guy and do not own the operation. I just do not think that it is fair that someone is trying to ruin someones operation cause they did not kill a deer. last time that I checked it is called hunting not killing. If killing a deer has to make your hunt then you should go and hunt on a high fenced ranch.

All that I am saying is that it is truly a high classed operation that does all that it can to help you harvest a buck of a lifetime. If not then just check the guides web page and tell me that all of those bucks are flukes. Cause it does not look to me like they pulled anyone off any deer. Especially if this is your business why would you not want people to shoot deer to help you advertise.

When you talk about checking references obviously the first person did and got a positive response. Otherwise he would not have paid his money and his friend would not have returned for several years in a row. If he is just mad that he did not shoot a deer then he is a bullS$#@ hunter anyway. He should just stay in his armpit of the nation NJ.

Quick Reply: STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.