Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters
 STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD >

STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Old 12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

I'm sorry, but any guide that purposely breaks the game laws in their state so that they can make a few bucks is a dirt bag. I don' t know about the other allegations on here, but the post by Don K sums it up for me; these guys need their license revokedfor good and shouldn't be allowed to run their business.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

I am an outfitter in Iowa, and part of the problem is that there is no licensing for outfitters in Iowa. I don't know anything about this particular situation but I know things like this happen, and it makes it hard for me to get people to trust me. I would be happy if Iowa made us get licensed, then maybe some of the bad outfitters would be gone. I am not saying I am perfect, and I am sure I have had people leave less than happy, but that is hunting, even in Southern Iowa. So my advice when booking a hunt is ask every question you can think of, and then ask some more. If you are dealing with a descent outfitter he will take the time to answer all of them. Believe me, it is a much more enjoyable hunt all around when there are no surprises. Just my two cents.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Spike

I hunted with Steel Creek in 2005. Here's what I know:

Some stands are high, some are low. If you have a height preference, letthe outfitter know. There was one stand that was too high for me (30+ feet). I told him flat out that I wasn't going to hunt that stand. Simple as that.

Some of the stands could have been a little easier to get into. We had a problem withone stand and told Ernie about it. He fixed it. If a stand is crooked or something, move it on the tree so it suits you. Why make your hunt uncomfortable when all you have to do is loosen the strap and move it?

Not all of the stands had bright eyes. I'm sure Ernie got the message about that issue. He personally walked me to a stand on my first morning because he was concerned that Iwould not be able tofind it.

We had no problems about getting picked up or dropped off.

The food was fine. No complaints at all. Nothing fancy. It was like eating at home; pasta, Hamburger Helper, etc. If you want gourmet you'll pay $3000 for itsomewhere.

We did not stay in the lodge but we spent time there and the only problem I heard of was the toilet clogged occasionally. We stayed in a farmer's house that Ernie no longer uses.Our housewasn't Club Med (yes, mice) but it got the job done and, anyhow, is no longerin use.

Ernie hunts the wind religiously. If the wind is wrong (and it doesn't take a genius to figure that out), you don't hunt the stand.

We had some problems witha farmer's dogs and livestock. Ernie moved us off that farm.

The property wasgood. Out of three of us we had three shots with one buck being killed. We all saw shooters.

We questioned him about the "incident" and he spoke openly and honestly about it, and I respect him for that. He made a bigerror in judgment and man did he pay for it. I don't think thathe will ever even break the driving speed limit again.

Bottom line: Ernie treated us well. We had some issues and worked through them and ended up with a good hunt. The area is top notch. I've been to other outfitters (Pike county, IL) and had similar or worse issues.

For the price we paid I woulddefinitely go there again (once I draw a tag!) My biggest issue is that the price went up a bit too much for me, so I may not go.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Just curious what state your from Hoyt9?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 PM

This is to the ones that were talking about the Steel creek out. and siad they didn't mind the MICE, And Hamburger Helper How cheap was the hunt. I own a hunting lodge in Alabama and our gun hunts are $1500 for three days you get a Ribeye Steak dinner, Fried pork chop Dinner and Fried Chicken dinner and all your other meals and snacks and cokes to go with that. I don't know what kind of outfitter would not mark his treestands only one who didn't care about seeing his clients agian. Just my thoughts on this subject next time shop around a little bit more. Ask every quetion you can think of, talk to them on the phone see if they have a good repoor with you.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Spike

Hey Guys,

I bow hunted with Steel Creek in 2005 and I wanted to chime in here on a couple notes.

To sum it up quickly, if you are looking for first-class accomodations and a Club-Med type atmosphere, you will be severely disappointed.

If you are looking more towards the basic"deer camp" type atmosphere, you will be satisfied.

Looking back on the hunt as a whole, there are things that Ernie can improve upon and is taking steps in doing so. I think the main thing is you have to voice your concerns to Ernie and he will make things right.I had some bad luck during the firstfew days of my hunt and Ernie went above and beyond my expectations when trying to make my week a good one.

As far as Ernie's past, it is just that...the past. Where it can't be over-looked, he spoke openly and honestly about the situation. It was the worst judgement call of his life, andhe knows it. He screwed up. However, it really shows that he is trying to do everything to ensure he and all his hunters are abiding by the Iowalaws. He has payed his dues, lives with his decisions, and is moving on. Ask him about it. He has nothing to hide.

The most important thing to me on this hunt was the property, and it was amazing. I saw some huge deer, including one 350 yards away on the top of a hill in the moonlight. When you see a deer at 350 yards and all you can see is a big rack with the naked eye, you know he is a monster. If you put your time in, you'll have an opportunity. I was impressed with the property, and this will keep me coming back to Iowa.

The best advice I can give anyone is to call Ernie at Steel Creek and speak with him before passing judgement. If you are concerned about things, tell him. Ask for pictures of the housing, property, etc. Make a list of questions and don't leave any stone unturned. Ask for references. Know what to expect before you arrive. Know what you are getting for your money.

Do your homework.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with dtk913 that there should be some form of licensing...not alot of redtape or another racket just to get money from theState...but some type of guidelines that have to be followed. Other states do have licensing requirements.
*Iwould not give my money to this outfitter with a checkered "past" and one of the people defendingthe outfit on here is more than fishy.
just my .02

Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 PM

In response I live in Mi. This whole debate going on really baffles me. One person posts that they had a bad experience and everyone comes out to bash the guide.

Whatever the guides past may be it is the past. I truly believe that it is the hunter that makes the hunt not the guide. Of course you are traveling there because it is Iowa but nobody can make you have a good time. Just like any hunt that you go on you cannot predict the weather, when the rut will kick in, or what you will see. It is up to you to make your experience what you want it to be.

For the last time I do not work for the guide nor do I own the operation. I was there this past fall and it was truly the hunt of a lifetime. There is a reason that Iowa only hands out so many tags to non residents and it shows in their deer herd. Hunting is hunting take from your experiences what you will, but you should never blame someone else for you having a bad time. In all the years that I have hunted I have felt blessed to be in the woods wether I was dragging something out or I left empty handed
Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Spike

The best advice I can give anyone is to call Ernie at Steel Creek and speak with him before passing judgement. If you are concerned about things, tell him. Ask for pictures of the housing, property, etc. Make a list of questions and don't leave any stone unturned. Ask for references. Know what to expect before you arrive. Know what you are getting for your money.

Do your homework.
Good post, Nick. It reiterates my post above. Bottom line is that people will have to choose for themselves what is right for them to meet their expectations.

Quick Reply: STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.