Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters
 STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD >

STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: STEEL CREEK OUTFITTERS......NO GOOD

Erine asked me during the summer how high we wanted our stands we told him 20' or so, I asked him if the new lodge would be complete before our hunt was to take place, he said YES IT WILL BE DONE IN OCTOBER our hunt was in November. I asked for a stand to be moved I was told it would be, it was never moved, I came to find out Ernie and his guide was hunting on our dollar bill. To the outfitters on here, do you hunt while having hunters in your camp? The food wasn't to our taste, that I could deal with, I was told weeks before our hunt there would be a total of 5 hunters in camp, well there was 10 hunters, I asked about bright eyes to the stands, they told me it can cause problems with tresspassers......I was told during the summer that we would be hunting a certain farm, we hunted it once that was on the first full day of our hunt, I saw a 140" buck, my best friend saw a 130" plus buck, after that we never set foot on that farm. This just too bad that this happened, as I have many friends that wanted to use him, I even brought my check book to give him a deposit......this place without any questions has great bucks with many great farms......but just too many negative things happened on our hunt......I won't be like Hoyt9 and say negative things towards him as I don't know him
Old 01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Spike

BOWHUNTERCOP,

You made your point. You had some problems and you identified them in detail. As a forum member I appreciate that info, but it seems like you're beating a dead horse here. My opinion is that some of your complaints are legitimate, and others are just your opinion or preference.

Just curious, when you could not find your stand in the dark, had you seen it or been to it in the daylight? Or was it first time in? I usually don't mark my own stands with bright eyes.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said I wasn't the only hunter in camp that week that got turned around. I wasn't at this stand before, it was my first time
Old 01-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Spike

It is water under the bridge. Get over it and move on.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not going to bash the outfitter, as I haven't done any homework, nor hunted with them.

I put many manhours in the field each year, doing fieldwork on stand placement, shooting lanes,trail marking, foodplots, scouting, etc. Any reputable outfitter should be doing this. You should be able to call your prospective outfitter any time, or one of the guides, to learn more on the ground where you will be hunting. I have folks who come in during the Off-Season to do pre-season scouting on property they will be hunting, (on a semi-guided hunt).Some folks come justto see what type of ground we have, whether we have done our homework, as far as stand placement, good deer sign on the property, etc. Any good outfitter should be willing to work with you, in any way that they can, answer any of your questions (or connect you with someone that can), and give good referances.

I am the manager of our Nebraska hunt camp and I know that ground better than anyone. Hence, folks inquiring about Ne are refered to me. Not that I do not know the other ground we use. I have guided turkey or deer in all of the states we hunt.

In closing, all I can say, is Do Your Homework!! If you are going to pay for a good hunt, you should get what you pay for.. If you are going to pay for a "Cheap Hunt", you may be one of the lucky ones who walks away happy and satisfied, but chances are you are going to get a "Cheap Hunt"!!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Hello everyone, Im a frequent hunting forum member all over the net and just found this board and I like the looks of it. I know this is my first post but I had to comment on this topic since I have hunted with Ernie for a couple of turkey seasons. I justrecently learned I was awarded a turkey tag again this year and will return to steel creek for another memorable hunt. I am familiar with the sleeping conditions at steel creek and I personaly know he is building a new lodge, a very nice lodge and should be completed any time. He has always went above and beyond to insure a safe, succesfull and down home atmosphere in and around our hunting camp. Ernie has become my friend not just my outfitter. We talk on the phone regularly and my brother in law has even went out to Iowa just to hang out with Ernie and help him do some work on the new lodge since he was so far behind on it. I will stress the fact that you get what you pay for and I am happy and satisfied with what I pay for with steel creek. Im not there to hang in the lodge im there to be in the woods.