Hunts/Outfitter Reviews Went on a great hunt or had a good outfitter? - Write a Review of your experience!

Coward Alert - I got stood up

Old 08-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Spike

Default Coward Alert - I got stood up

I wasn't sure where to post this but it needs to be known...

Jake/Jacob Phillips
Oklahoma resident
Huntingnet username: jake_phillips2013
I have his phone number if you think you may be talking to this coward...PM to confirm

Guys last season around Thanksgiving or so, I met Jake on the Sitka Gear Facebook page. We talked for a while, about hunting of course, then he listed a few trip he had available. Jake owns, in his words, one of the best trophy deer properties in OK. He trades hunts all over the place in exchange for guys to hunt his place. Jake had a moose trip for the Yukon Valley available and I inquired for my dad to take the spot. Jake said my brother and I might as well come too so it could be a father/sons trip. He went on to say we would have to pay absolutely nothing besides airfare and tip the guides....i was blown away. He insisted to earth end that its all good and they guides pay everything because of how happy they are with the deer trade they do at Jakes OK property. Awesome...i was pumped because a moose hunt is my dads dream, and this is about the only way i could ever make it happen because i can't afford $25,000 on a regular trip

In exchange, I offer Jake free lodging for however long he wants to stay at my rental in northeast PA to hunt bears with us, we kill some huge bears. I also offered for him to return again in spring for turkey and striper fishing...he agrees. He said he doesn't really want or need anything at all in return, he just likes to hunt and meet new friends. seems like a dream that this is happening....

Fast forward to April or so, Jake hasn't been able to get me in touch with the guides to confirm everything Jake has told me. Every excuse in the book...they are busy, one of them had a stroke, bad storm knocked the power out, they are shed hunting....Jake scheduled a half dozen 3 way calls with himself, the guides and me....and every time nothing happened. But then the next morning would tell me how drunk he got that night.

I really started putting the heat on Jake for answers in early July because the hunt was supposed to be early September...he doesn't respond to any Facebook messages, phone calls or text messages at all. I have this all saved by the way. I know he was available because Jake is the kind of guy that posts something on Facebook every 15 minutes....Furthermore, Jake has 3 different Facebook profiles... Thinking back now, that makes me think he is trying to dodge even more people. He would deactivate and reactivate any of the 3 profiles from time to time. I couldn't keep up with how i was supposed to keep in contact with him... A true coward in every sense of the word.

Anyway, guys avoid this pathetic excuse of a man. I am telling my dad this evening that the trip is off...I don't want anyone else to have to do that.

***If anyone has ideas or an offer for a trip I could take my dad on instead, please PM me. and it doesn't have to be just moose...I will work something out with you as a thank you such as a free vacation for 8 people in the Poconos for an agreed length of time, bear hunting, turkey hunting and/or striper fishing. By no means do i expect you to pay everything like what was offered by Jake. I just want to get my dad on some type of adventure that he wouldn't normally have the opportunity to do. He deserves it.

Last edited by PAnative; 08-08-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

well that sucks
some folks today could all use some back room justice if you ask me
some lessons in life ain;'t being taught as they once were IMO!

BUT, and sorry to say this, no offence meant!

but that old saying,
"anything that seems too good to be true, tends to be just that ,
NOT true!"

scammers are every where, at least be glad you didn't fly there and spend a bunch of money to find NO one there to do anything
could have been worse
best to find out now while at home than in another country!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that PA. I did inquire once about his OK property but never heard back. Guess I was lucky.

I will say that I have meet two different individuals on here that we had set up swap hunts. One was a father/son and we hunted Ontario. The other is from Iowa. I can honestly say that I consider all three of them good friends now. In fact, I drew the Iowa tag this year and will be hunting early November. My vetting process was long and thorough. I even met all 3 in person prior to any hunting exchanges. There are some really good honest guys out there, along with scumbags, so don't give up. Just be thorough.

I was looking for a moose swap as well but nothing ever worked out. Ended up booking a Newfoundland moose/bear hunt for my daughter and I in 2018. If you want any info send me a PM.

Good luck, Rob
Old 08-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
but that old saying,
"anything that seems too good to be true, tends to be just that ,
NOT true!"
Definitely a learning experience and that motto will be my first thought from now on
Old 12-22-2018, 06:22 PM
Spike

I wonder if it’s the same Jake Phillips as this guy ? Username Easton4814. A few months back he posted that he had a motorcycle accident and was looking for a bow and had land in Ok that he was willing to do a swap hunt for.