Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters > Hunts/Outfitter Reviews
My Experience with South Texas Hunting Outfitters >

My Experience with South Texas Hunting Outfitters

Hunts/Outfitter Reviews Went on a great hunt or had a good outfitter? - Write a Review of your experience!

My Experience with South Texas Hunting Outfitters

Old 04-19-2016, 04:14 AM
Spike

Default My Experience with South Texas Hunting Outfitters

Please read and make your own decision about booking with these guys. I will not hunt with Haiden Mensik's organizaiton again.

Lots of comments and Haiden's rebuttals can be found at http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...it#Post6259552

Here is my detailed account of my hunt with STXHO:

It took me a while to write this review as I was attempting to work something out with the guide service to resolve the problems I encountered. As a consolation I was offered a follow up hunt for one person in Freer Texas in June. This is a long write up, so get some popcorn and read on. The short version is to avoid this outfitter like the black plague.

I started communicating with Haiden Mensik in September of 2015 attempting to book a Javelina hunt for my Father, my Son, and me. We have hunted feral hogs several times and very specifically wanted to book a Javelina hunt. This was made clear in several emails back and forth with the owner, Haiden Mensik. I had to correct his reference to a “Hog hunt” multiple times and remind him we wanted to hunt Javelina, or not go at all.

Once I confirmed the dates of Feb 15-17 for the three of us, the communication problems continued. Emails went unanswered for days, despite multiple re-sends from me. Finally as we neared the hunting dates, I needed to confirm the location of the actual ranch with Haiden. The first request for this information went out in December and I had to follow up in January to get a response, which ultimately changed again two weeks before the hunt.

I sent a final pre-hunt email to Haiden on February 3rd, confirming our arrival on Sunday February 14th to start hunting on the morning of the 15th. At this point Haiden had confirmed the hunting location as Jourdanton, TX and also told me lodging would be included in the hunt. I confirmed in writing we planned to stay at the ranch on the nights of Feb 14, 15, & 16.

On February 6th, I texted Haiden for the address of the ranch in Jourdanton. On February 8th, not having received a reply, I sent another text asking for directions when we arrived on Sunday night. 24 hours later on February 9th I sent a third text nearly begging for a reply and address for our arrival. Later that evening (three days after the first request) Haiden told me he was moving us to Refugio where he “located some javelina.” He said we would meet at the local Dairy Queen in Woodsboro and to call when we arrived.

We arrived at San Antonio airport and I texted Haiden at 3pm on Sunday February 14th to let him know we were on the way. He replied asking if we were coming in “today or tomorrow?” “Tomorrow is what I have you down for.” Turned out Haiden Mensik had the flu so he referred us to Hayden Wagoner (another guide from STXHO).

Hayden Wagoner was not available to meet us Sunday either. So the ranch hand, Tyler came out to meet us and bring us back to the lodge. We arrived to a filthy lodge with no bedding on the beds (other than the dirty linens left from the prior hunting group.) Obviously we were not expected. Tyler was very pleasant and did his best to help us get settled.

I knew all was lost when Tyler asked us “Y’all ready to hunt some hogs tomorrow?” and I replied, “Nope, we are here for the Javelina!” at which point Tyler deadpan informed me “We don’t have any javelina on this ranch. We have lots of hogs though!” Imagine my disappointment having booked a hunt for my father and son for Javelina and being told “We ain’t got none here,” on arrival.

Sure enough, neither sightings of hogs nor javelina the first morning. When Hayden Wagoner arrived he was a very professional guide who also said “Javelina are very rare in these parts.” Tuesday afternoon the camp manager, Chis Fontenot arrived and confirmed once again that “Javelina are just not found this far north. Why don’t you just enjoy hunting hogs?” We were then rushed out after lunch on the last day to make room for the next group of hunters. Who knew a three day hunt didn’t include the last afternoon?

At the end of our trip my father, son, and I spent some quality time together hunting for hogs (none of us harvested one.) However, I could have done that near my father’s home in Florida as we have done in the past for far less expense that this trip. Haiden Mensik mislead me about the possibility of finding Javelina on his property and conned me out of the expense for the trip, flights, meals, and hotel room for the night before our flight out.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default I also had a bad experience with Haiden Mensik

I am trying to resolve my issue but so far no call back to respond. I will give him another week then work through BBB in Corpus Christi to document my dissatisfaction. A lot of similarities in our situations, I was also re-routed 18 hours before the start of the hunt. Then after the guides had my money they informed me of the point limit (in contract and I understood) but also told me nothing under 5 - 5.5 years of age could be shot, not in contract. Saw lots of deer but the none of them met the guides (South Texas Hunting Outfitters) criteria hence never fired a shot. Will work with BBB to ensure other hunters understand, especially seniors and young guys with limited funds, the real situation they face when hunting with this outfitter.

Mackinaw Kid
Old 12-10-2016, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for helping us avoid this scam artist ,I've personally paid to hunt and been robbed enough for over hunted leases , sorry for your loss , personal message me and I'll contact you after deer season and set yall up with a free hunt . I can't guarantee a kill but it's free and I believe you'll be blessed .well have access to public and private land , with trophy deer , turkey and both hogs and javelina. I will do my best to share my passion with you , haven't poked my buck yet but have seen him 3 times , and should be there now but have to work . I'm not a professional guide ( a dream come true -paid to hunt ) but I could be , I'm very blessed to say I have a buck in the states record book and this morning I have 3 free properties that are priceless to me , and if I'm not work in I'm in the woods .I hunt a 20 acre hay farm bordered by perfect large unhunted land that's a favorite but spend most my time on public land . I imagine we will go to a state owned core of engineers property , you have the trip you paid for and got screwed out of. TEXAS has some pretty awesome opportunities that most people don't even know about. I personally hope we get a spot -drawn hunt that gives us 2 weeks in our own zone ,can bait and use our own tree stands - most public hunts baiting illegal.we just need deer season to end and they'll start coming out in the daytime more , but we can hunt them at night as well. Look forward to helping you choose a nice place to make a memory with your family, please don't think you have to spend money to get the best hunting, it's simply not the case
Old 12-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Pyro451 and mackinaw kid , where do yall live,don't know how close you are, it's also odd that they require your hog to be older, some are looking for big , I personally only want smaller pigs , another farmer I know has a huge javelina cause I saw it but I bow hunt and he wasn't close enough, most smart hunters will harvest the smaller hogs or boars because the older sounder leads them and makes then more predictable to hunt as opposed to killing the leader and having smaller groups lead by the young inexperienced less pridictable . Wild boars are here but I don't think I'd go to the coast , we want to up north and west, 2 hours west I have a contractor I've worked for and while deer and dove hunting my son shot a nice javelina and I've seen them on several occasions and I know we can go there , I know Dads in Florida , aren't his deer and pigs really small ?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Spike

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. On a fixed income I have to be careful with my money. I will inform you if I ever hear anything back, if I don't I will file complaint with BBB. Will inform you then, of BBB response. These guys need to clear before they take your money as to what your chances are if you see bucks. It is open to interpretation of the guide if the buck is 5 or 6 years old. I am looking for a guide service that limits me on rack size (points) but allows me to shoot a smaller 6-8 point if I desire. At least the previous TX guide let me take a doe & gave me back 50% of the fee as he noted he could not find me a buck within the age/point requirements.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Spike

Default STXHO BBB Rating

Just finished speaking with TX Better Business Bureau. Check out their website, STXHO is rated "F", lowest rating you can get. I have just filed another complaint. A lesson learned all future hunts will be with services with an A or B rating. This organization does not have "a dog in the fight" so their unbiased ratings can be trusted.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Spike

My son and I just returned from a Javelina hunt with STXHO!! We were in a party of four!! We were able to all get our Javelinas!!! The accommodations were great and the guides were awesome. Chris Fontenot can naturally cook some food!!! I will be going back for a deer hunt. I have never seen so many 2.5 to 4 yr old bucks in the 150+ range!!! Give Haiden and South Texas Hunting Outfitters a try!!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Spike

Mackinaw do you really want to have at a buck under 5 years old? That's the worst thing to do to a deer heard. You are killing potential!!! Its like pediophilia doesn't make since!!! I'm sorry if your upset but anyone can kill an immature buck and its a hunt!!! If you want a guaranteed hunt spend 25k and shoot a breeder out of a pen!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I suspect a schill here. This thread is to give an appraisal of outfitters, good bad,or indifferent. Not to criticize the kind of animal a poster wants to shoot. I smell a rat!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 PM
Spike

I posted my honest opinion!!! I dont believe in running down a man who is trying to give people the chance to kill a true trophy buck!!! if he allowed everyone to shoot young bucks then when a hunter didnt kill a trophy they would be bashing because they didnt see a trophy!!
Let the Baby walk, Kill the Boss!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.