Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters > Hunts/Outfitter Reviews
Beware of Wooden Cross Outfitters >

Beware of Wooden Cross Outfitters

Hunts/Outfitter Reviews Went on a great hunt or had a good outfitter? - Write a Review of your experience!

Beware of Wooden Cross Outfitters

Old 05-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Spike

Default Beware of Wooden Cross Outfitters

Hello. Longtime lurker. Great forum. Just want to give everyone a heads up.
My buddy and I decided to do a hog hunt in west Texas. We find an outfitter, Wooden Cross Outfitters, and give them a call. We got in touch with Ethan Peden, the guide with Wooden Cross Outfitters, about 7 weeks before we are scheduled to go to Texas. We decided to go with him, seemed like a nice guy on the phone. We decided on a ‘safari style’ hunt. We send him a deposit of $150 each. The day we are scheduled to start driving to Texas, from South Dakota by the way, he calls and says his UTV broke down and won’t be able to take us out. Well crap, stuff happens not his fault. He tells us he will send our deposit back because he didn’t provide his services. Only fair right? Well, it’s been almost 3 months now and we have not seen our deposit. We were in contact with him for weeks after trying to get our deposit back. He would answer about every 4th text saying he sent the check. He told us multiple times he sent the check but he didn’t. He’s a liar. Now he won’t answer any text at all. We pursued the problem a little further by having a lawyer friend of ours write him a letter concerning him stealing our money. Our lawyer friend actually got a hold of him on the phone, now he, Ethan, claims he doesn’t give deposits back. Lawyer told him that he did not provide services because he canceled on us and that by him keeping our money is stealing.

Not going to pursue any further, would cost more in court costs than we would get back.

It’s not a lot of money we lost but that’s not the point. I would never do business with Wooden Cross Outfitters or Ethan Peden again and I hope you all won’t either. Just a heads up everyone.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well if you are a long time lurker you would know there is a section for outfitter reviews then. Also, if a bad experience is the only thing that encouraged you to register and post after "a long time" its sure dont help your credibility much in my book.

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hun...r-reviews-145/

These guys? and just you and your buddy. So 2 people for a Safari Hunt?
http://woodencrossoutfitters.com/por...view/wild-hog/

Last edited by Gm54-120; 05-30-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

I'm smelling a little something a bit odoriferous. I see they have a 5 person minimum on Safari type hog hunts as GM also seems to have noted. Maybe business has been slow so he contracted with 2 just to make a little? Though I am doubting that since hog hunting is a booming business in Texas. I know for a fact that business is booming. The old man was in Texas every year hog hunting, sometimes 3 or 4 times a year so I'm doubting the guy is hurting for business since he has pretty respectable prices. 325 per person for 2 days is pretty darn low for that area of Texas.

Last edited by hunters_life; 05-30-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, I am not buying it either!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:16 PM
Spike

There seems to be a lot of trust issues on this site, really sorry about that. Was only trying to help fellow hunters out and give a little heads up. You can take the words that are on this page as gospel or not. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I have no reason to believe the OP is anything but sincere. If I were looking for a hog hunt I would probably take his advice. Lots of dishonest people out there. When it comes to hunting it is a shame when someone does that. Sorry you lost your deposit Ruger 21.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Time and time again we see people with a first post of this type. AND time and time again we find out there are 2 sides to the story. Many of these types post the "warning" thread and are never heard from again.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Actually Champlain Islander, there is a very good reason to doubt his/her sincerity. The fact that he says they booked a 2 person Safari when Wooden Cross books 5 person min on Safari type hog hunts. Not to mention he/she stated long time lurker but didn't even sign up to the forum until now just for this post? If he/she was a long time lurker, he/she would have easily known just exactly how many would react to his post. The media for the past couple of years now has been getting away with crucifying individuals without any proof whatsoever and flat out slander. This forum should not take after the media and allow posts such as this without proof. While this isn't a hugely visited forum, it does get a fair share of visitors through google searches and unsubstantiated posts such as these can be detrimental to business owners.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess there are a few ways to look at it. I always hate to see newbies jumped on by our members. There are now so few regular posters and each new person who gets discouraged often never comes back. I have been here on the site for quite a while and have noticed this happening from time to time. Personally... I wish about a thousand newbies would sign up and start posting and become the new regular members. The older generation of members just doesn't seem to care anymore here on HNI and not many new people are signing up. Almost all the new members seem to be spammers. I am on another site and the traffic generated is several per minute. It used to be like that around here. It looks like the majority who posted on the thread see it the same as you do and that is OK. I just felt compelled to comment my own opinion.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

I consider myself fairly new here and I do my best not to jump any newcomers but being a business owner and operator myself, I hate it when someone jumps onto a public forum to badmouth a business with totally unsubstantiated trash. If you want to trash a business, show some proof. Show some documentation to back up your claims. Hunting operations have a hard enough time getting by without people trashing them with unsubstantiated garbage. That's just my opinion and you are just as entitled to your's as I am mine. He has the right to sign up and post unsubstantiated claims, I have the right to call BS and ask for proof. Especially when his claims are unsupported by facts and having inconsistent statements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.