Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunting Gear
Alpaca fleeces - thoughts on alpaca wool? >

Alpaca fleeces - thoughts on alpaca wool?

Community
Hunting Gear Looking for a new treestand or a good set of binoculars? You've come to the right place.

Alpaca fleeces - thoughts on alpaca wool?

Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM
Spike

Default Alpaca fleeces - thoughts on alpaca wool?

Hey everyone!
I'm Melissa Hinostroza and I recently opened a new organization called Arms of Andes. We focus on developing mid layers and base layers from 100% Royal Alpaca Wool in Peru. I got on this forum to understand what people thought about alpaca wool and its benefits. Is anyone familiar with with wool being used in active wear? or the difference between Merino and Alpaca?

P.S.if you are interested in AoA products, feel free to use this code to receive a 10% discount: huntingnetONLY
Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

I cut and pasted the below info that I read on another hunting site.

In my unbiased, unscientific experiment during the last two days I had an opportunity to try both products that I recently received.

I had the most expensive warmest merino sock sold at Bass pro shop for under $ 20 vs heavy weight Alpaca socks at $32 that I bought at a Alpaca farm in Susquehanna county.

Both socks were very comfortable and not itchy. If I had to pick maybe a slight edge to the Alpaca

Warmth : yesterday I wore a thin liner sock with the merino wool socks with 400 grams in my Perfect hunter boots from Cabelas. Temperature was about 25 After about 1 1/2 hrs. My feet started to get cold but I lasted for another hour until it was too dark to shoot.

Today it was a high of 18 degrees and I used the the Alpaca socks and I was advised by the owner of the Alpaca farm not to were a liner sock. Again I lasted about 1 1/2 hours until my feet just started to get cold. I was wearing the same boots.

IMO maybe slightly I give the edge to the Alpaca socks. Maybe physically you get what you pay for.

However, if I was working for Consumer reports the Best Buy would go to the Merino socks.

I also had an opportunity to try my new Christmas gift of Minus 33 expedition weight long johns that cost an arm and a leg. They were very comfortable and not itchy at all. Yesterday with a high of 25 I never did get cold. Today with a high of 18 I got slightly cold But was able to stay on a tree stand until it got too dark to see thru my sights.

So out of all my cold weather long johns I would recommend the Minus 33. They are warmer then my Under armor cold gear and my high end Cabela brand underwear.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:08 AM
Spike

thanks for the feedback and the honest response! I wonder why type of alpaca wool the manufacture used, if it was baby or different type. I read in some studies that some Alpacas might vary on wool durability and warmth depending where they are bred such as the Andes or other countries. However, other studies also showed the difference in location did not matter.