Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Honda Foreman 4x4 / Rancher 4x4 >

Honda Foreman 4x4 / Rancher 4x4

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Honda Foreman 4x4 / Rancher 4x4

Old 05-01-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Honda Foreman 4x4 / Rancher 4x4

I'm looking into purchasibg the manual shift Honda Foreman 4x4 or the Rancher 4x4. I've spoken to one of the local Honda dealers and he said as for as the Rancher goes, I'd do better getting the 350 Rancher 4x4 rather than the Rancher AT (he said the 350 pulled better).

The Foreman 4x4 is top of my list, but I don't know if I need that big of a bike for the area that I'll hunt. And I'd save $1500 if I went with the Rancher.

Any of you have these bikes and can give some reviews?

Appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Default RE: Honda Foreman 4x4 / Rancher 4x4

And please note that my mind is made up on Honda - I don't want this turning into another Honda vs. Polaris vs. Yamaha vs. whatever thread.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 350 rancher will actually do almost anything that you may ask of it while hunting or fishing.I would not consider a larger machine unless you are going to be doing a lot of heavy hauling or dragging with it.I moved up from the 350 rancher to the 500 rubicon because I do a great deal of heavy hauling and I prefer the hydrostatic transmission since it eliminates the need for shifting while doing heavy chores.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:00 PM

I have a 2003 Rancher 4x4 ES and love it . One benefit for hunting is it does not sit as high as some of the others and that makes it easier to get under tree limbs in thick woods. I know what everyone thinks of the Electric shift but I have not had a bit of trouble in two yrs. The only thing the foreman has that I wish the rancher had is a headlight on the bars if tracking game at night. Good luck shopping!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

TroopA, nothing wrong with 350 Rancher (manual) it will drag any deer or bear sized game with ease and allow you to haul decent weight trailer as well. Other than physical stature here are the difference I have collected since I am also looking for new ATV:

Rancher TRX350FM vs. Foreman S TRX500FM
Engine: 329cc vs 475cc
FT 4x4 vs. Selectable 2wd/4wd
Drum vs. Disc Front brakes
Rear Single shock vs Dual shocks
Grill lights only vs. Grill plus handle bar upper light
Ground Clearance 7.2 vs 7.5
Front Tires: 24x8x12 vs. 25x8x12
Rear tires: 24x9x11 vs. 25x10x12
Weight dry(lbs): 524 vs. 594
Fuel Tank: 3 gal vs. 4 gal

The biggest thing I can see in favour of the TRX500FM is dual rear shocks, disc front brakes and selectable 2wd/4wd. On side note the tires size of the Rancher, riding 2 ply factories here will leave you flat sooner rather than later so this is a big concern to me seeing the more aggressive aftermarket 6ply tires seem to be moving towards larger sized tires in particular now 26" is the norm. So you may have trouble finding replacement 6ply's or may require some modifcations to fit the larger tires in the future to the TRX350FM. (I don't know this for sure but maybe something you'd want to inquire about prior to buying, if this is a consideration for you personally). If you think you'll need the larger motor & slightly heavier dry weight of the Foreman S will prove its worth for heavy hauling or dragging duty.

Both good choices you just have to determine which one will be best for your needs now and future, then go with it and enjoy.

I just sold my 98 Foreman TRX400 manual, it rode like a tank but was built like one too. Good bike, really not much I couldn't do and have wondered if I made a mistake selling it! In my case nothing other than up keep or reg. wear n tear. My quads don't see lots of miles each year compared to others, but when then do they are often hard miles my theory is maintain them and they will return the favor to you!

Best of luck and test drive them to see which one you like!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:29 AM

Either will do fine but if it were me i would go with the foreman.

I have a 2000 foreman s and the thing has been awesome . i pull alot with it but i also just ride for fun. the newer version is probably a much better rider due the ability to go to 2wd. steering is probably much easier. not that mine is bad but would be nice to have a steering system that was easier on the arms.

As far as cost difference ....for me i wouldnt really worry but depending on how much you use the machine it would be a factor. but hey you may get the rancher and really start using it for lots and find out it might not have enough guts. and you may wish you had went with the bigger machine. i will bet when you get one and find out what you can do with them you'll be happy if you get the foreman over the rancher.

anyway good luck with your shopping.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:26 PM

I appreciate you guys replies.

I'll be going next week to take a look at them and will have a tough time deciding.

But, I can't go wrong with either chioce, right? After all, it's a Honda.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:28 PM

rancher, only thing better about the forman is the dual shocks on the rear, the rancher is light enuff that if you do get stuck you can pick it up and move it, put some mudlites on it and roll with it.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TroopA

I appreciate you guys replies.

I'll be going next week to take a look at them and will have a tough time deciding.

But, I can't go wrong with either chioce, right? After all, it's a Honda.
Of course not! Honda builds solid equipment.

I am a big fan of selectable 4WD. Makes a lot of difference in manuverability.

The only downside for me is a handlebar light. I nearly always have stuff on my front rack, usually at least a gun, which makes a handlebar light useless. My ATV doesn't have one, but some others in camp do. So they can't run their high beams if they have anything on the front rack.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Next to being over-gunned, most people I see in the woods are over-biked! Nothing wrong with that, mind you! But I see that you are from the Cajun state, mostly the same terrain as East Tex, and the Rancher ES will do most anything that needs doing! I have not had any problems with the ES either! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Honda Foreman 4x4 / Rancher 4x4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.